which to keep, ball joint 60 or kingpin?

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the guys the mess with the one ton brakes a lot. what from pads do yall use to get more bite? on my bronco it's tall enough and short enough that over 90% of the vehicle weight goes to the front tires in a pannic stop. depending on where i guestimate the center of gravity i could technically do a stoppy wheely. so i can't currently lock up the front consistently. it's got parts store cheapies on it now. but i'd love to get better bite. any recommendations?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
for the guys the mess with the one ton brakes a lot. what from pads do yall use to get more bite? on my bronco it's tall enough and short enough that over 90% of the vehicle weight goes to the front tires in a pannic stop. depending on where i guestimate the center of gravity i could technically do a stoppy wheely. so i can't currently lock up the front consistently. it's got parts store cheapies on it now. but i'd love to get better bite. any recommendations?

I like the Carbon Metallic pads up front. They are a bit rough on rotors, but I really don't care, those are consumables, I just want to stop fast and those things have a nice bite to them. I have yet to find a really good set of shoes for the rear

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kingpin axles do need work but with big tires etc I wouldnt touch a balljoint axle. and secondly I have rarely heard of ppl working on kp axles on a street only rig....they are stout.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having just redone the 2WD kingpins on the Scarlet Moose, I can tell you that the expertise to rebuild them is not available everywhere. It takes special tools to ream the new inserts and the skill to know how to use them. We ended up paying $200 to take the axles to a shop that has a good reputation for re-doing them. Ball joints I can service myself more easily. Clearly a kingpin axle is stronger and wears longer if properly maintained, but realize that when you get to the point that they need serviced, it may be a bit of a hassle.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a good point, I need to figure out what gears are in it and go from there. I put a kingpin axle in the f250 my buddy is building that had 3.55 gears. If this axle has matching gears I may swap it out for that and sell the kingpin axles off. Just have to remove the dually outers first.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Thats a good point, I need to figure out what gears are in it and go from there. I put a kingpin axle in the f250 my buddy is building that had 3.55 gears. If this axle has matching gears I may swap it out for that and sell the kingpin axles off. Just have to remove the dually outers first.

Nah, i got a 3.55 rear here.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having just redone the 2WD kingpins on the Scarlet Moose, I can tell you that the expertise to rebuild them is not available everywhere. It takes special tools to ream the new inserts and the skill to know how to use them. We ended up paying $200 to take the axles to a shop that has a good reputation for re-doing them. Ball joints I can service myself more easily. Clearly a kingpin axle is stronger and wears longer if properly maintained, but realize that when you get to the point that they need serviced, it may be a bit of a hassle.

4x4 kingpins are completely different than 2wd king pins. no reaming, no press fits, no special tools. the only thing that is difficult about 4x4 king pins is changing the king pin itself. you need a 7/8" i think hex key. and a cut off wheel. for more info on them search pirate4x4.com for the dana 60 bible.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no issues with either, KP's are more long lived if neglected, but, I have seen serviceable original balljoints in railway trucks at the 200K mark(used to work at a shop that did CN inspections/services.) Personally, every Ford 60 I have is BJ, my 44's are on a BJ axle, and I have not had an issue, nor do I expect to, and I can assure you that truck sees useage that it was not designed for... LOL

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
-I preferred kingpins. I use my front axle for exploring offroad with slightly larger than stock tires.

-Dynatrac prefers ball joint 60's and they build axles for extreme rockcrawling with really BIG tires.

While I believe the kingpins are stronger and/or live longer while being neglected, for my needs I don't think I'd swap one out just to have the other... However I do like the 95-97 bolt on calipers ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US