Which Muffler????

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
Ok guys time for opinions. What's a good muffler 3"-3.5" to run. Good sound, performance, breathing, etc... to run on a non turbo 7.3 single pipe. I'm thinking of going with piece of 3" or 3.5" right after the factory y-pipe, (can't find a bigger after market y-pipe), into a muffler then a tail pipe turned out behind rear tire. I figure this way if I ever turbo it I can easily cut in where the y-pipe ends. Give me your opinions based on what you have and how you like it. Thanks A lot, Matt

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walker BTM (Big Truck Muffler), it's a favorite of the PowerStroke boys, it's a straight through design made specially for heavy trucks.

You can order them at any place that carries the Walker line (NAPA, Summit etc).

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
A little while ago I was down at my friend's junkyard and I removed a 4" muffler and some 4" pipe off of a fire truck. I'm in the process of chopping and welding the pipe to fit my Van (almost done.)

I'm doing the same thing that you said, right after the y-pipe. This way all the money I spend is on the Argon to weld it together, the rest is free!

I have no idea what it is, but if you're interested, i'll take some photos of it when it's finished and tell ya how it sounds/rides.

~Jeff

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Gibson Muffler on my E350 and have been getting compliments ever since ;Sweet

Don't forget about the 4" chrome tip. Not only does it add great looks but it also improves the sound if installed correctly.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Walker BTM (Big Truck Muffler), it's a favorite of the PowerStroke boys, it's a straight through design made specially for heavy trucks.

You can order them at any place that carries the Walker line (NAPA, Summit etc).

You forgot the best part of the Walker muffler. It's cheap.:D Cost about $60 bucks.;Sweet

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

(seanpistol auto-jet has a 3" mandrel bent y-pipe for our trucks. )
I called auto-jet. They said no y-pipe for vans.

(I have no idea what it is, but if you're interested, i'll take some photos of it when it's finished and tell ya how it sounds/rides.)

~Jeff
Sounds good I'd like to see it when done.

Warwagon

Reaction score
Jeff,
Compu Doc is RIGHT! We did the Gibson on his ambulance with a chrome tip and it sounds awesome! My 4xvan is running whatever 3" stainless muffler came on it when I got it as an N/A engine, now it's got a turbo and sounds OK... If/when that muffler dies, I'm going to a Gibson too. DEEP, mellow sound which oughtta be great with just a hint of turbo wine under boost!

John's ambulance is now running my old stainless exhaust, 2-1/2" headpipes into a 3" from the Y back through the Gibson, then to the 4" tip exiting behind the rear DRW's. It looks grand and sounds GREAT on a 7.3l IDI that's N/A. If you're ever over in Jersey, stop off to check it out, you'll be impressed! She :yell: without making the neighbors go :eek: !
Mark

Last edited: