Which? DRW or SRW

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about others, I have never bought a new car. I prefer running older vehicles. However I have a hard time finding a vehicle I like, so I end up with a bunch of cheap vehicles. I have come up with a plan, to have two heavy trucks and two daily drivers. Any more than that, is too much maintenance. One of the heavy trucks will be 4x4 (the other truck is a F550 flatbed).

I have both a 1994 SRW F350 4x4 Turbo IDI and a 1995 DRW F350 2wd Powerstroke in my possession. Both are crew cab long beds, 4.10's, and good transmissions. The 1994 is more of a parts truck, lots of rust, but runs. The 1995 is basically rust free, but the dually bed is trashed. Since the 1995 is in better shape, I am thnking of making the 1995 a 4x4 by taking the Dana 60 from the 1994. I am deciding whether to keep it a dually or use the SRW axle from the 1994. Towing should be under 10k loads. I am really leaning towards SRW, unless it is a bad idea.

Dually Pros:
Stability, Bigger brakes, More weight capacity? (Are both the same sterling axle? Is spring capacity higher?)

SRW Pros:
4 tires, looks better (IMO), no fenders sticking out, better MPG?

PS: I plan to use the Turbo IDI in a bronco to make one of the DD's.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
well, you basically covered the pros and cons. A dually can handle more weight because the load is evenly disperced over 4 tires instead of 2. Plus, if yur runnin a SRW down the road, the tries get caught in the groves of the big trucks. Duallies always have a tire out of the grove(s) so the rear end wont hunt or fight in the ruts.

SRW gets better milage cause theres less weight (2 less tires and rims, hubs weigh less). MUCH better traction in the snow, if u get it anyway.

But if your haulin under 10,000lbs, then SRW will do ya good. If you need to haul anythin over 10K, just add either beefier springs or helper springs..Hope this helps ya out

gunnar1971

Reaction score
Seeing as you have the F550 I would say switch the '95 to 4x4 SRW. I have had both SRW and DRW (albeit cummins) and the SRW is much easier to navigate in my city setting and out in the desert / mountains easier to fit on to those tight trails.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going through this same thought process, with the same question.
you stated you are going to have 2 daily drivers, so if the truck isnt a daily driver then the fuel mileage between drw and srw means nothing.
also the only real gain in a drw is when hauling a trailer, so will the truck have more time hooked to a trailer then not?
if the truck is hauling a trailer 20% of the time then srw will be fine, but if its hooked 80% then drw will do you best.

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I mostly know the pros and cons, but have not towed with a dually (These trucks are not on the road yet). I also see alot of people going from SRW to DRW, not the other way. Just wondering if I would lose a lot of capability or wish I would have kept the DRW. I would prefer the SRW.

Yes, the two trucks will not be daily drivers. Both will only be used on weekends. The F350 would be runs to the hardware store, swap meets, and towing a tractor 200 miles once a month. During the week a diesel bronco and a car of some kind will be daily drivers.

THe F550 is way overkill but it was cheaper than a new heavy trailer and some used ones. It has a 16' flatbed that I am setting up to dump. Scored an air ride setup off CL that I will install at some point.

I coming from a 1/2 ton silverado 4x4 towing 5-6k pounds, even with a weight distributing hitch I did not like the ride. All the bumps of trailer were transmitted to the truck and the backend moved around too much. Power was fine, brakes were okay. So the F350 is an upgrade.

Q's
If I keep the dually rear springs with SRW axle (so I don't have to mess with the leaf bushings), will the ride be too harsh?
On the front, can I use a Reverse shackle kit and still keep the stock F350 ride height? I'm guessing no. Are they worth the upgrade? and would they make this swap easier?

Thanks!

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with what you have already said, what you have, and what your plans are, this is what i would do.
i would take the 4x4 truck, and tear it down to bare frame, clean the frame and remove the rear shackles and put them back on with bolts. then i would seal and paint the frame. then clean up the axles and replace whats needed to make them road ready, due to this being a work truck i would make it a dually by using the dually rear axle. then replace all the brake lines and hoses, and now the fun begins, start taking the fuel tanks and wiring from the 2wd and clean them and install them on your frame. get as many parts on the frame as you can before you switch the body. then put the 2wd cab on the 4wd frame and put everything else on, replacing anything thats needs to be replaced.
not saying to go all out, but doing it this way will let you know everything about the truck, and will be easier on you in the long run.
also let me know what your going to do with the old cab cause im interested in it.

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mudkickr, Makes sense but I don't want to get involved in a body swap. I don't need two dually trucks. So I have made up my mind to convert the Dually to 4x4 SRW. I will swap axles first, then the transmission last (unless the 2wd tranny tailshaft can be changed to the 4x4 tailshaft). Then use the SRW bed from the F250 until I find a nicer one. What ever is left I will sell or scrap. The 1994 cab is pretty rough, rockers are rotted and seats don't match. The 1994 frame is rusty but solid. Thee rear spring hangers are broken. It was oil sprayed, so most of the rubber bushings have swelled up.

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since everyone likes pictures, here are the two trucks in question.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Swap the two transmissions. To convert to or from 4x4, is pretty involved. You need to change the rear housing on the trans and also the main shaft inside is completely different. The diesel Bronco project is TOTALLY worth it IMO. The comments from the few people you meet who actually know Ford didn't make it really make me feel good about mine! Yesterday, my barber was completely amazed when he found out about it. My favorite was from a guy who went hunting with me last year. He said " a diesel in a Bronco. Is that really necessary?" I just answered " No, but it sure is fun!" We both had a good laugh about that one.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
That 94 doesn't look so bad nor rusty unless the doors are from another truck, I would just keep that one (bc it is 4wd) and not that it is necessary but if You really feel the need convert it to DRW.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the information presented: If i was you, i'd sell off the '95 and restore the 94 if you plan on keeping it. 10k can be handled no problem with that truck. No i am not interested in the '95 f550 LOL

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap the two transmissions. To convert to or from 4x4, is pretty involved. You need to change the rear housing on the trans and also the main shaft inside is completely different. The diesel Bronco project is TOTALLY worth it IMO. The comments from the few people you meet who actually know Ford didn't make it really make me feel good about mine! Yesterday, my barber was completely amazed when he found out about it. My favorite was from a guy who went hunting with me last year. He said " a diesel in a Bronco. Is that really necessary?" I just answered " No, but it sure is fun!" We both had a good laugh about that one.

Do you have a build somewhere? I'm having a hard time finding much completed builds on the net. Yes, it sounds awesome to have a diesel in a bronco.

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me, the 1994 is very rusty. Rockers are swiss cheese.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a suggestion for avoiding having to swap transmissions. take a parking brake unit off a f450 and bolt it onto where the transfer case is removed.
done. no transmission wrestling needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin