Which compressor for on-board air?

sagebel

Reaction score
It's time for air horns. I also want to have the ability to run tools as well. Which electric compressor will do it if there is one. I am planning on a 10-20 gallon tank if not more if I can find room. Any ideas?

Scott

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm, If your dead set on electric (or dont have room under the hood for a YORK) then I would go with Viair. Either the 450c (sealed unit) or the 550c (unsealed, but higher CFM).

They both draw about 30 amps and have 100% duty cycles at 100psi.

OASIS makes an electric unit, but they draw some SERIOUS current and you would need basically welding cable to run them.

20 gallons is gonna take a LOOOOOONNNNNG time to fill with an electric unit.

Really, a YORK is the way to go. 11cfm, no battery drawdown, but only works when the engine is running. A viair will prolly run for a little while but will draw the battery down fairly quick.

The problems with the YORK is, no one makes a braket for our trucks. All the guys that have them had to make their own bracket. You also need to weld an additional pulley onto your existing pulleys and run a second belt.

sagebel

Reaction score
I just bought a Porter Cable portable compressor (AC) No longer need to run tools. Just the air horns(shh don't tell my wife) and bags. Viair it will be.

Scott

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
daryl,

you got any pic of a york on a psd... sounds pretty cool, I might have to check into that.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*I* dont, but my buddy in Lafayette (MudHog on TDS) has two yorks sitting on his floor and he is going to mount one in the engine bay come hell or high water (which in lousiana, both ARE possible!). Its a pretty large unit, and you will need to remove your stock airbox and install a TYMAR style system in order to make room.

I've seen them mounted UNDER the engine where the second alternator would go, but its a VERY tight fit.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Cool. That one guy had a good idea about putting the guage in the glove box.. I like that. I have a old york in my shop that would look good under the hood. Is there a industrial/medium truck air compressor application that would work on our trucks? Or at least as far as brackets or something.

MudHog

Reaction score
I'm the Lafayette guy Daryl is talking about.

I'm waiting for my TYMAR parts to get here (bought a kit minus the filter as I can get a filter cheaper myself). Also need to get my oil coalescing filter to install as the York will pass small amounts of oil at higher RPMS. I already ahve a bracket on standby and a couple 210 Yorks as Daryl mentioned. I plan to keep my Viair plumbed as it's already mounted and will be used for small jobs while truck is not running.

I just signed here today so I will update my signature tonight with links to my webshots album that has tons of pictures.

My current setup is (1) 6 gallon air tank, (1) Viair 325C( ##% duty cycle) compressor, (2) Grover 1609 air horns, (2) 3/8" electric solenoid valves for horns. I have my gauge mounted on the A-Pillar with a 4 gauge pillar mount.

I'll reply again tonight once I get my signature updated.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
welcome mudhog!!! glad to have you aboard! can't wait to see it when you git r dun LOL, sounds like you have everything figured out.. can't say the same for myself

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome MudHog, glad to have you onboard with us. I dunno if cavorting with Daryl is such a good idear........ LOL

MudHog

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Updated my signature. click on the F350 link and that will take you to the F350 album. From there use the links on the left side for the different albums. So far I only have pictures of my current setup, but will post pics as I progress on the York install.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heh, I hauled his sorry butt all the way out to southern California to ride the Glamis dunes. I even left him alone to ride by himself and he came back in one piece, so its all good.

I bought two Optima Redtops and Im installing them on the passenger side of the truck, and my Viair 550c is going on the drivers side (it fits amazingly, its a big compressor).

Still need to mount my 5 gallon tank and my 4-chime air horns.

I've already installed my ride-rite airbags, and have a Dakota Digital 5 channel air pressure gauge thats going in the dash. (LF-RF, LR-RR, and tank pressures).

Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'll head out to MudHogs and have him help me get this crab installed!

sagebel

Reaction score
Daryl, if you get a chance, could you post some pics of how you are mounting both on the passenger side. I have a few ideas but I'm not sure that I like the way it looks.

Scott

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to grind the lip off my existing battery tray, and either find a new place for my vacuum bottle, or just redrill the holes and move it back a half an inch or so. I *might* need to remove a little metal in the front right corner of the battery location (part of the sub grille metal) or just slide it under the lip. I hope to work on it some more tonight. It was raining Tues, and I had to work late yesterday.

sagebel

Reaction score
I pulled my vacume bottle off last weekend and it will fit down behind the headlight if you remove the stock battery tray.

Scott