Which brand tune up stuff is better for older Fords?

Reaction score
I am doing yet another tune up on our tired but reliable 96 F250 with a 5.8 gasser. I usually use Autolite stuff and it has done well. But I am a creature of habit and fear change so I have not tried other brands. I am not interested in running hypo stuff because this is a mostly stock 5.8 that used as a daily driver and towing down a highway. What I am interested in is good fuel mileage and longevity. I do not want to be swapping this stuff out in six months. Anyhoo, who do you all recommend and why?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
my opinion?
I buy the semi-cheap stuff, Autolite and motorcraft. I keep records of fuel economy, keep it in my head what my 0-60 is, and replace all the junk whenever economy and or performance suffer.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I've run autolite for years with good luck. I prefer Standard Ignition tune up parts and I generally opt for the X stuff (brass/bronze contacts instead of aluminum). The X is more money, but last longer and has better conductivity for the long haul.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've run autolite for years with good luck. I prefer Standard Ignition tune up parts and I generally opt for the X stuff (brass/bronze contacts instead of aluminum). The X is more money, but last longer and has better conductivity for the long haul.
scott-
our age is starting to show.....
The "X" stuff is more frequently called "Blue Streak"
the cap iirc is DR428X
the points iirc is DR2270XP
the rest of the numbers is forever lost and I'm not sure if the above ones are right either.-cuss

not only is the materials better, but the points spring is a little stiffer to combat high rpm points bounce.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welp....my memory is worse than I thought.
all these are "Blue Streak" components....
points.........FD8183XV
Cap............FD129
Condensor...FD77
Rotor..........FD311

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on Blue Streak stuff: definitely better quality. Also, I would always recommend high quality wires as you really get what you pay for. My 2.3 turbo cars would cook a set of cheap wires inside of 12 months, but the good ones lasted 2-3 years. Plugs always amazed me: the wrong brand just doesn't work: Autolites definitely work best in a Ford IMHO.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
motorcraft plugs, Taylor wires (not cheap but well worth it), and whatever i can find that has brass contacts and cheapest filters (fuel, air, PCV although not really a filter).

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i only found them at Summit, but they are kinda expensive but i've had em on my 93 for 7 years with no issues, the boots are top notch and dont get stuck like the regular rubber boots and and well...i wanted red wires and they come in a dozen colors lol.

oh they're on our 66 fairlane with a 390 and come right off even with the plugs being next to the manifolds. plus they are 8mm which is good for less resistance and they get rave reviews.

Reaction score
That sounds good. Every time I do a tune up on this truck I end up ripping apart at least two plug wires because they are so damn hard to get off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.