Which axle Should I run f350

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sterling 10.5 axles are an upgrade over the older 10.25. Brakes work better, parking brake works just as well, and the best part to me is not having to jack the rear end up and adjust the brakes multiple times a year.

Front end, depends on who you talk to. King pin axles will break knuckles when pushed passed their limits, ball joint axles will brake the ball joints instead.

99-04 axle unit bearings are under sized for the job with extra load and/or bigger tires and therefore have a higher failure rate than they should. Plus side is they are fairly cheap, and easy to change.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot about unit bearings. Make that #1 and king pins #2. Automatic hubs would be a PITA and cost extra to convert. I keep everything manual, simple, reliable... Big part of why I have an IDI.

I wouldn't be overly worried about disc brakes.There are a couple ways to convert an earlier Sterling if you felt it worthwhile in your application.
They're not full-auto hubs, them things generally suck. The ones I'm talking about are the vacuum actuated with a manual override. No it's not the nail-simple design the pre-SD axles had. But like I said on-demand power kill to both front wheels at the same time is very good to have in certain situations. Especially if the axles isn't very heavily loaded.
The disc conversions, seen a few, not impressed. On a trail rig - eh maybe. On a heavy hauler - not a snowball's chance in hell!!!! If you want discs get the proper axle. Or the factory parts off one, if you can make them work on yours.

The unit hubs are not as bad as they are rumored to be, but, if you run with a plow or HUGE tires, they do take a toll on the unit hubs. But in a stock-ish sized tire ans doesn't see a 1500lb plow hanging off they front, or abused in hard wheeling, they hold up just fine. Since this sounds like its going to be a tow rig, it should have a fairly easy life on the front axle.
That's how I see it as well. And I've more than once been called Captain Overkill :D

The 99+ F-250, F-350 and Excursion with rear disk brakes, the disk brake is only a SERVICE brake. Meaning it is only used to stop the vehicle. The parking brake is ONLY a parking brake, and is a small, completely independent DRUM brake located inside the "hat" of the rotor (where the lug studs go through. They are only operated by the parking brake cable, and the rear disks are only operated hydraulically. This system actually works out fairly well.
Also known as a drum-in-hat setup. About as simple and reliable as can be. The way our trucks should have come as well, at least as an option. Passenger cars got that design in the early 90s, the difference from the older drum brakes is quite noticeable there, in a good way.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 99+ F-250, F-350 and Excursion with rear disk brakes, the disk brake is only a SERVICE brake. Meaning it is only used to stop the vehicle. The parking brake is ONLY a parking brake, and is a small, completely independent DRUM brake located inside the "hat" of the rotor (where the lug studs go through. They are only operated by the parking brake cable, and the rear disks are only operated hydraulically. This system actually works out fairly well.

Thanks.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
My main concern with unit bearings is water intrusion and the ability to repack. Not sure a zerk is adequate as compared to disassemble/clean/repack. My bearings go under water from time to time. NJ is mostly at sea level and surrounded by water, flooding is common and I'm not the type to be inconvenienced by a little weather, or I'd be driving a Prius instead of an IDI.Ability to handle larger tires is also a concern. Not huge, just up to 35"-37". I'll take the stronger more serviceable bearing. Also don't care for death wobble when wee little ball joints start getting a bit of wear prematurely.

pointb912

Reaction score
thanks for all the good info here, i think for cost purposes I will find a 10.5", as i live in California and wouldn't know what snow is or the thought of a plow or any additional weight, haha, befor this truck I picked up I had a 99 f350 with 300,000 , no issues so I have nothing that my truck cant handle

thanks for then input