where is the ip

stevewillis

Reaction score
just got a 92 f250 4x4 with a aftermarket ats turbo...where is the ip located and is it veasy to adjust?can doing this increase power and can it damage the engine?will it make it roal coal

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its in the middle of the valley pan towards the front of the motor and it will make a little more power its easy to do if you know what ur doing and if you dont know what ur doing u could melt down ur motor and it will make some smoke but nothing like a cummins

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean like a cummins? A cummins is a cummins. Its what the driver does to the fuel system, and that can be done to practicaly any diesel. My truck will smoke five cars behind me if I want it to, my dads cummins puffs a little haze. Thats beside the point, why do you want it to roal coal?

Last edited:

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean like a cummins? A cummins is a cummins and nothing else. Its what the driver does to the fuel system, and that can be done to any diesel. My truck will smoke five cars behind me if I want it to, mu dads cummins puffs a little haze with a programmer. Thats beside the point, why do you want it to roal coal?
the saying rolling coal doesent really mean smoke 5 cars back i can do that to but a cummins will literaly roal coal like the super thick black smoke the will kind of fall around a stack

You must be registered for see images

like a idi will never do this by turning the pump up exc exc that what i would say is "rolling coal"

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iam not comparing engines it was for examples for some one that asked a ? if someone was to ask me if my truck rolls coal i would say no it blows a little but nothing like a cummins with (fuel modifications), thats is what this thread was about fuel mods and rolling coal, do u notice he didnt ask about a programmer? umm maby because these are mechanical not electronic?? just my 2 cents

Danoflapper

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I came off as an ass.

If your truck doesn't smoke now, you can make it smoke. The power increase you feel won't be like a kick in the pants though.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha ur not being an ass i just didnt want him to get the wrong idea because i have some mods that most people can get and it just wont make the smoke iam thinking maby because lack of injection pressure along with how much fuel it gets but idk

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well in that case yes its way too much fuel but they use it to spin massive turbos which makes lots of power but its un streetable and back to turnin up the pump, if you do do this u need to get a pyro if u dont already have one

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont mess w/ Ip unless you have a pyrometer!! If you dont know where the IP is, you definately should not be adjusting it. (not trying to be a jerk, Im just trying to help) Read up on this alot, there is a wealth of info on this sort of thing in prior threads, just search a little, it wont be hard to find. As far as rollin coal, why not just run your truck to its potential. Rollin coal on a stock truck, is like throwin dollar bills out the window as you drive. ALL YOUR DOING IS WAISTING FUEL!!! Im not against rollin coal, but when the dodge guys see my stacks, they always roll their coal, Its rediculous. Most of them end up screwin their trucks up in less than a year. Just my opinion, take it for what its worth!!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the adjustment screw is underneath a triangular plate on the ip. google 7.3 ip adjustment and it will give you a link to a website that will be something like shaw/k2pilot. This site has step by step instructions on how to do this but to much fuel will melt your engine so you will need a pyrometer or egt gauge. also if this is done wrong you can ruin your ip.

sootman73

Reaction score
you know for as long as i've been on here i dont know of anyone that has melted there engine down.....? actually i dont know of anyone but highly modded cummins that have melted an engine down. is it because we all air on the side of caution or that they take more than we think they do? some guys with beater trucks have the fuel cranked without a turbo and they just keep running........