Wheel Woes

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
somewhat off topic here. the other day at work i check the balance on my tires and my left front was about 5oz out. i zero'ed all 4 tires out and i honestly have not noticed ANY difference in the way it rode.

still rides smooth though for a 3/4 ton truck. at 70mph on the highway it is as smooth as my dad's crown vic. WHEN i am on good roads this thing rides smooth as silk.;Sweet

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When using beads, I've been reading that it is recommended to use bubble or static balancing in addition to the beads... is it completey necessarry or just recommended for the smoothest ride possible? Is it possible to essentially mount the tires on the rims, throw X-oz of beads in, and you're good to go?
Just want to be sure I'm understanding this all correctly... I can be a tad dense at times.... :idiot:
If I go with tape weights I'll definetly be throwing the rim back on the truck and marking exactly at what point on the rim the weight would begin to interfere with the caliper.
Thanks again everyone for the input! I knew OB would be the best forum for anything relating to these great trucks! :hail

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
I didn't do anything else. Mounted the first side of the new tire. Poured in the measured amount of beads. Mounted the other side. Aired up. Put on the truck and drive. That's it.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting beads in my 20x9 Badlands when i get my Mickey Thompson ATZ 305/55 R20's this week. Figure for the size and bulky tread on the tires its going to be just as good as the tape weights that were on it.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE

Saturday morning my tires came in. Talked to the manager and he was ok with not balancing the wheels, but wanted to have the tires mounted. Cost was $10 each for that service. Took them home, took out the schrader valves, broke the beads along one side of each wheel using some wood blocks, the truck, and a jack. Measured out 8 oz of airsoft BBs per tire and poured them in. Re-seated beads and aired up the tires, put the new wheels on the truck (torqued to 140 lb-ft) and away I went! Took most of the day to get it all done and it was brutally hot, especially on the sunny side with no breeze whatsoever. At the highest speeds I'll ever travel (in most cases), on a good road, it rides PERFECTLY smooth! ;Sweet Very impressed with how well the beads balance the wheels! Don't notice any extra noise either. I actually find the new tires to be quieter than the previous ones. Oh and these tires were made in 2012 so no worries at all about the age :D Looking forward to trying them out in the snow too...

As a quick initial "review" on the tires (Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 285/75 16), they aren't very loud at all considering the aggressive tread pattern, but I do find them quite "squishy" feeling on the road. I've heard this to be an issue that goes away as the tires apparently will stiffen up after some use. Will find out for myself! I had some General Grabber AT2's on my Ranger (27x8.5 r14) that were just the same... hard braking was a little scary at first, but it got better with age.

Now I know you all just looovveeee pics (I know I do! :love:) so here ya go!

My real tight clearancing issue I mentioned earlier...
You must be registered for see images attach

New tires compared to the old ones

Really digging the new stance...

Figured I'd go with the more classic, white raised letter sidewalls. I've been catching quite a number of people gawking at it while going through intersections. :D

Now I just need to find a good mudhole around here... :sly

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
the squishyness is just the way good years are, you can sit on them(unmounted from the rim) and they fold right up. they are just weak. the dirtytracks are good in the snow and offroad. they don't last very long on the road though. Not trying to bash you since you just spent good money on a "premium" tire, just sharing what i have learned since i started working at Discount Tire.

i will not lie. those tires do look sick.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a bit afraid of that... I won't be doing too much heavy hauling or towing with it during the winter, and in the summer (starting hopefully next spring) I'll have some highway treads on there instead so I don't waste my money completely. One huge reason why I went with them was because they were among the few that I saw in that size which were rated for severe winter conditions. I see lots of other tires that I think look pretty good, but I'd rather not take risks when it comes down to hard packed snow, black ice, and -40 weather (which we've had here before).

If anyone knows of other GOOD tires in 285/75 16 that are also rated for severe winter conditions, lemme know. They might end up on my shopping list when the Duratracs wear out.

Definetly veryyy happy with how they look on the truck. I see lots of other people around here running them on their trucks also. Even a fairly new 08+ F350 PS dually!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Very Nice! They look Great! It is amazing what the RIGHT set of Rims and Tires do for a truck.

I noticed that you posted a pic of the tire track, One thing that makes a subtle difference in how the truck looks are Correct Track tire Spacers. They make 2" Spacers that you put on the rear, and brings the tire out to the same width of the front. I have been running them for years. It is a subtitle but very noticeable difference, especially if it bugs you as bad as it did me!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726