Whats the differance between a cheap and an expensive billet torque converters?

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. Can someone tell me the difference between a $500 billet torque converter and a $1000 billet torque converter?

I am having my e4od Transmission rebuilt and upgraded pump, trans go shift kit and billet torque converter. One transmission guy I was talking to told me that there wasn't that much difference between them other than the warranty and wasn't worth the money.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fibre washer between turbine and front cover instead of Torrington needle bearing, stamped steel front cover over billet front cover all fins welded over none welded only folded over. custom made for your application instead of standard pitch fins. $1000 bucks is cheaper in the long run with a E4OD

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly is "billet" referring too?

I pull heavy loads what do i need to look for in a torque converter.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billet referrs to the clutch plate drive surface. That is the part that bolts to engines flex plate.

Notice it's not stamped steel and is a large chunk of machined billet steel. That offers better heat dissipation, a much better clutch surface that has less run out compared to a stamping. The ability to not flex when clutches are applied. etc etc etc...

One thing you want to look for is an increase in friction material. If I'm not mistaken the factory lockup clutch is around 25 or so square inches..not much, where as a billet one can be 3 times that easily. Thus considerable more HOLDING power and less slippage accordingly.

Hope that helps

Im no guru at this stuff just know the basics as I pointed them out

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Any advice on what to look for a truck pulling a 8000lbs trailer. I'm having my trans rebuilt. Already getting a heavy duty clutch pack, pump upgraded, Transgo Shift kit and a billet torque converter. All this is what the guy at the transmission shop suggested. I'm just wondering if I should ask for anything else while he's in there.

My question about the torque converter is because he said he can get me a billet torque converter for $500 and I don't have a clue what I get with $500 converter and should I get one that's more expensive?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can find some hellish deals on Ebay at times. Found this one way back in 2011. Gonna put it in when I rebuild my E4OD for the 92 if I ever get around to it. Anynoe have a roundtoit that I can borrow? :D

No it's not the one you got from me Jerry.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You can find billet covers for less than $500. clams. Because it has a billet cover it still can be stock spec (single disk). Price is based on construction. Cheap will usually be, single disk stock stall speed with phenolic washers. Some will have an improved apply piston some dont.

The higher priced converters will have bearings over washers. Welded construction. lower stall (when required). Multi disk frictions from a quality supplier. Billet apply piston usually from Sonnax.

Really high priced converters will have the above plus a larger diameter and proprietary parts. Stall speed is what you want. Note this set up will not fit the early flex flywheel set up. a post 93 stamped flex plate is required for this.

Pulling 8000 LBS. I would go with a triple disk, low stall converter. Of course welded construction and full bearings.

RacerX offers a decent priced converter with this type construction. Its around $600 bucks.

www.racerxusa.com

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can find some hellish deals on Ebay at times. Found this one way back in 2011. Gonna put it in when I rebuild my E4OD for the 92 if I ever get around to it. Anynoe have a roundtoit that I can borrow? :D

No it's not the one you got from me Jerry.
I think that's the one I put in mine. If it is, I really liked the low stall and you can really tell when lockup happens.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y Because it has a billet cover it still can be stock spec (single disk).

I would go with a triple disk, low stall converter. Of course welded construction and full bearings.

RacerX offers a decent priced converter with this type construction. Its around $600 bucks.

www.racerxusa.com

Thanks for pointing out that i could wind up with a single disk billet torque converter. Hadn't thought to ask about that. I just assumed :dunno he would put in a triple disk because it makes since to me but i will have to call him tomorrow and make sure what converter he's talking about.