Whats the best yr of 7.3 powerstroke?

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea thats what im leanin towards. Newer the better but will settle for anything as long as its in good shape.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The early '01 trucks had the leftover '00 engines. These were all rated at 235/500 even in the manual trucks, whereas the '01.5 trucks got increased power ratings of 250/505 for auto and 275/525 for manuals. I know because my '01 was an early build date and even with the ZF I got the 235hp engine, older style starter, and forged rods. There is a distinctively different sounds between the starter on the later '01 trucks and the '99-'01 235hp engines. The seats in the XLT trucks also changed up slightly with a different fabric and different center console in the later trucks. My '01 was sorta unique in that it had the newer seat fabric/styling but the older '00-style console without cup holder. Nevertheless, it was a very comfortable truck to ride in. With the Edge Evolution programmer and 4" exhaust my '01 would fly. Wish I still had it.

If I was looking for a truck right now, my first choice would be an early '01 followed by a '00 or '99.5 for the most comfort. That said, I would also have no problems with the OBS trucks and their toughness more than makes up for the lack of amenities that you find in the newer trucks.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info rebel! I went to our local ford dealer and talked to our friend there to look out for a 99 to 03 crew cab 4x4 for me. I'd rather have the manual trans but would take an auto. And i'd also take a 98 or older power stroke crew 4x4 too. I just dont want one all beat up. i did test drive a 99 or 00 F250 ext cab short bed fleet truck. Had over 242K on it but i was just amazed at the power! I will have a diesel sometime hopefully before spring break! The bank said i could haha

Reaction score
The truck in my avatar, is an early 99. Man date of july 98. It has afe intake and banks bidhead and banks exhaust, edge programmer. I have it set at the 60 over hp.
The truck has almost 200k miles and still runs strong as hell. Most of them miles pulling a trailer, either my taga along dump or my gooseneck

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The ZF 6-speed in the '99-up trucks is a nice unit. The shifts are short and the gates are narrow. Plus reverse is to the left and up with 1st (Low) right below it like it's supposed to be. The gear splits are nice and make towing pretty pleasant. The unit is pretty expensive to rebuild though as it uses synthetic synchros that cost about a bill a piece. I had mine rebuilt and got a cash under the table friend deal and it cost me $1200.

Ford did not make a diesel or heavy duty truck for the '98 model year. The '97 was the last old body style and the Super Duty was introduced in early to mid '98 as a '99 model year.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Rebel-I just like manuals better for towing. I love my 77 with the 4speed. That thing will haul ANYTHING! Still got the original clutch too. Are clutches expensive for the 99 and up superduties? I heard they were for a kit. My dad has a 98 F250 wit the 460. I love the body style on it but it would have to be a crew cab and not an extended cab. I want to be able to open a door to get in the back instead of movin the seat forward to get in.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Smokin-I love the power of the 7.3s. Ive driven a couple and love them. So you wouldnt hesitate to put bolt ons and chips on a high mileage 7.3? How much are intakes cause i guarantee i am doin performance things to my 7.3 when i get it!

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I bought a ceramic clutch for my truck that was intended for use behind the T444e in a tow truck. It had a lot of chatter in neutral but it was a good clutch and it was less expensive than a South Bend replacement and about the same price as a OEM replacement from the local parts house. I would say they're not any more expensive than any other application.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Check out Innovative Truck Products who is one of the advertisers on this site. They have top notch customer service and I can recommend them as good people to deal with. IF you want a performance add on, they're the place to get it.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Rebel-Thanks for the info i will definately do that. What add ons would you recommend for a 99 and up 7.3? Engine or anything else on the truck. I plan on it as bein a daily driver and pullin a 5th wheel camper with atvs and other toys too. And the occassional hauling loads of wood.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Synthetic fluids
Gauges
Intake
Exhaust
Chip or programmer (there are advantages and disadvantages to both)
Clutch or torque converter / valve body upgrade
Boost regulator
HPX kit
FASS system
Aluminum diff cover

The above should put you somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 RWHP depending on what programmer or chip settings you get.

There are other "freebie" mods you can do to get extra power such as the 10K mod, manually controlling the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve, and others. The mod for the EBPV is valuable in that it will essentially give you a factory exhaust brake which works pretty good and definitely helps slow the truck but only works with manual trucks or auto trucks with a manual torque converter switch. There are also other things you ca do to the engine such as injectors, turbo, custom injection pumps, etc. All depends on how much you want to spend on the mods and how much you want to spend when things break.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I've heard about the exhaust system stuff like straight pipes and bigger pipes. Smoke stacks are what im puttin on it. I am constantly lookin at my gauges no matter what im drivin. Whats the HPX kit and FASS system? I have some stuff to learn when it comes to diesels. What intakes are available and how much they run?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
HPX = High Pressure Crossover pipe. This is a small M-shaped oil line that goes between the heads to balance the oil pressure. This will reduce engine noise and make it idle a little smoother.

FASS = Fuel Air Separator System. This is essentially an auxiliary fuel filter setup that also reduces the amount of air in the fuel system. Some models also include an electric fuel pump to ensure the right amount of #2 gets to the HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump.)

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Oh I gotcha. Very good ideas for me. I also heard about putting an auxilliary fuel filter that separates water from the fuel. I've been on powerstrokehelp.com lookin at ideas on there. There is also a thing you can do to the 7.3 called big boost?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online