Whats the best yr of 7.3 powerstroke?

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I am leaning towards a 7.3 power stroke. What yr you guys think is the best one or what yr range should i shoot for? I wouldnt be against an IDI either? I know the IDI would be easier and cheaper to work on.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on what you want to do with it. If you want to build it up for alot of power look for an earlier motor like a 94-97 as they had forged rods which will hold up to the abuse of power adders much better than PMR's.

If your looking for a 7.3 just to drive day in & out, as a stocker, my opinion would be an early 03. It will have the IC, electric fuel pump (94-97 has a mechanical one), larger intake plenums. They started offering the 6.0 in mid to late 03 so the 2003 7.3 was the last of the 7.3's with the most updates & improvements from day one is how I see it. Just my .02 Hope that steers you in some sort of direction. Good Luck with the search

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I think you could get a late 99 or early 2000 and have the forged rods, an IC, and the electric pump. An early 99 would be the next best one. If you want a bone stock one to leave bone stock go for an 02 or 03 (250HP auto, 275hp manual). Anything after a 97 will have the LL injector in the number 8 hole (as well as split shot injectors in all the holes) and some people dont like that. I love my 02. Its bone stock and makes plenty of power for me. It will stay that way for the rest of its life.
Ken

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Well I would do exhaust for one. Maybe 4 or 6in lift, 33 or 35in tires mainly. I know once i get one i would start doin mods to it, i do that with all my vehicles. Its addictive. Tired of these durashits runnin around here too.

nevrknow

Reaction score
99- early 2001 had Forged rods. For building HP #'s that's what you want. Mid 2001-2003 Had the PMR rods. Still a workhorse but only up to a certain HP range ( 400 I think ) then you start windowing blocks. :)

99 and up cost ALOT more to fix and repair. 99 and down still strong *** motors, cheaper to fix.

I own an 02 but from what I read you can get huge numbers from 99 and down 7.3l's with aftermarket parts.

I'm thinking my next move may be an older 7.3L built to the hilt. Then drop it into my 02 just for the creature comforts. Let the bashing begin but I do LOVE the body style on my 02.:D

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea i love the looks and comforts of the 99 and up superdutys. Just tough ass trucks. But I've seen some sweet 98 and older trucks that i wouldnt mind having. I've been looking for some of the older crew cabs. Im looking at the long term for a truck. I dont want hefty bills when somethin needs replaced. Im looking at simplicity while having a durable motor with lots of horsepower at tap.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
if you're looking for simplicity and cheap to maintain, you're better off with an OBS. just about everything about a SD is more expensive.

that said, my next truck will be a Superduty again. i prefer the look and the ride over the OBS...but that's just me

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Here's my early '97 7.3 PSD.....
You must be registered for see images attach
.... not as smooth riding as the SD's for sure, but always faithfull, and always pulls and hauls anything I put behind or in it. I like the looks of these trucks better than the SD's, but eveybody is different.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
engine parts prices are not that much more for the 99+ powerstrokes. The things that are more expensive are balljoints and wheelbearings. You will change both on a 99+ truck. Once done with good parts they will last a long time. It took almost 100k on my 02 before I had to get into them.
Ken

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea I'd love to find just an old IDI as long as i dont have to do a lot of body work. Has to be a crew. Im just ready for a diesel. Tired of gettin 6 mpg in my van all the time. My bro had one just like yours camo85 except it was an extended cab 351w. Had 36s with 6in of lift. Nice truck btw.

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Yea I'd love to find just an old IDI as long as i dont have to do a lot of body work. Has to be a crew. Im just ready for a diesel. Tired of gettin 6 mpg in my van all the time. My bro had one just like yours camo85 except it was an extended cab 351w. Had 36s with 6in of lift. Nice truck btw.

Thanks man! Mine just has a four inch lift with 35's, well 315/75's, basically the same thing. The IDI's run great too! The '85 in my sig that I just sold had way more bottem end then my psd does, an that was a 6.9 NA. Top end the idi couldn't touch it, and add a trailer and the psd would walk away. One thing I do miss is how simple and cheap it was! Oh yeah, and the old chatter rattle of the idi, always thought they sounded cool. But I would still not trade my '97 for any other, it's been great to me.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Ive had them all, and right out of nthe box my 03 rules, but my 00 wasnt bad other than the crappy nvk program.
the 99 with a 40 hp programmer is still slow.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
So you guys are saying the 99 and up superdutys have more lowend and topend than the 98 and older pwrstrokes and IDI's?

sassyrel

Reaction score
in about oct 2000,is when ford went to pmr rods--on the other site--1 guy had it narrowed down to some close serial numbers--dont rem who--when they changed--it happened at once--NOT over a period of three years--you can pull some plug on the oil filter base--and look up into the engine, and tell if it has pmr rods--

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I guess if i find a really nice older power stroke or IDI i will go after it. But for the same price or a little bit higher i can get a 99 and up. 10 grand will get me a nice truck though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7