What would you do.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, after knowing all the things that have happened to the 1990 truck.

It sits at my fathers home with a bad trans. I thought I would be able to sell it fairly easily, but I have not had even one bite on it.

So here are a few questions, and a request for opinions on what to do.

My oldest is starting to drive so I have to get another vehicle.

Do I replace the trans 1 more time...
and use the truck as a daily driver (40 miles one way), no loads. and covert it from 4:10 to what gear ratio to get the MPG up as high as possible, and that ould be what? currently about 12-13 empty. Or buy another MB or maybe a VW TDI

Remove the dually kit and go to single wheels, that would help with MPG and tire wear, but require new rims and a new bed.

So what would you do,
Sell, for how much?
Keep and do what?

thanks
Doug

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
If you drove a truck that gets 10 to 13 mpg as opposed to one that gets 30 to 35, the monthly diff. at 80 miles per day is almost $200.
That would almost buy a good used car.
But I like the dually as a daily driver. It just costs more to drive.

Chuck

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i think either way you're gonna have to fix the tranny. who wants to buy a truck with a bad trans. you won't get anything for it but scrap value. fix the trans and sell the truck, but a commuter car and start saving money.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to find these truck with bad trannys, Theyre worth more in scrap. I'm working a deal on one right now...
Fix the trans, sell it or keep it. You can find some used ones on ebay once in a while. My torque converter let go this time so the trans is in the shop gettin rebuilt again just to make sure nothing else is damaged, gonna cost about $600 w/o TC. Its gonna cost more up front at a bad time of year, but you'll get your money back to sell it. The only bad thing about selling a truck right now is with the fuel prices someones not gonna buy a big truck unless they NEED one.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: What have you been trying to get for your truck with a busted trans?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should let your oldest drive the F350...probably wouldn't have to worry as much about them getting hurt, plus they probably only drive in town. You could also go to WVO all the way for a long commute like that to get the fuel costs down. Whether you sell it or keep it, that E4ODOA is going to have to be replaced or you'll get way less than what its worth if you sell it or it'll just sit if you keep it. ZF-5 swap...anyone? 3.55s from Randy's ring and pinion would help with the fuel mileage, but I doubt it'll get you to where you need to be for fuel economy at $3.00-4.00/gallon diesel and an 80 mile a day commute. Maybe to 14mpg in town and 17 on the highway empty. 12-13 is really not so bad for a CC dually, but the taller gears would help on the highway.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a c6 that need gone thru if you want to do that and change gears to 355's. Be a smokin deal!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online