What to replace on 6.2 before swap?

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
I'm looking at swapping my 350 out for a 6.2 in my '92 Chevy K1500 this Spring. Still searching for a motor and tranny but had some questions that I hope the guys that have done this before could answer.

*What should I replace while I have the motor out before it goes in? Should I do just a gasket kit then throw it in or should I replace head gaskets or something else while it's out? Not making a power motor at all. Just looking for fuel efficiency.

*Motor mounts should be the same, yes?

*Return line to tank can be rubber line?

*What are the 700R4 differences from gas to diesel? My gasser 700R4 was rebuilt last year. What changes can I make to it to use it behind the 6.2? Can I change valvebodies and TC's and run with it or would I have to get a whole differant tranny from behind a 6.2?

Thanks guys.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Head gaskets, head studs (just in case you want to throw a turbo on later) or at least new bolts, timing chain only if it's loose, injectors, glows plugs, delta 206 Cam grind, and you will need a diesel torque converter and throttle valve cable. Upgrade the water pump to a 99 yr style ho pump. You will also need to change the whole fuel system: fuel pick up, lines, lift pump and filter set up. The motor mounts are different you will need the shell from a 6.5L and get energy suspension replacement rubber insides.

That's what I would do......

Last edited:

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will work but they are technically bigger on the 90's 6.5 than the 90's 350. I tried 350 inserts in a 6.5 shell and it could twist in the shell too much

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on early models like that but 6.2 has same motor mounts locations and takes the same rubber inside the shell. Dementionly the mounts are the same but the space inside the shell is different to add more vibration dampening.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not needed. A single with the balance flow mod on a HO pump flows just the same with better pressure through the heads to reduce air pockets.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's good to know. It's been awhile since I've looked any of that stuff up for them.
I didn't even know there was an aftermarket cam. Lol

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at heath diesel, he has 3 cams that are extremely over priced. Delta built their cam in the 80's for the military when they ran Natural Aspirated humvees. I built my own specs (with the help of a very smart friend that is better at punching #'s) and have 3 cams waiting to get sent in and ground. Probably send 1 in and see how I like it then adjust for the others. My first one is an all out mid range and stout upper RPM cam, built to pull decent and run like a scalded ape, will likely go in my hotshot truck with 4.56 gears if I like it. I might make a lower rpm band "stump puller" cam that pulls down low but that will take some block mods or a GEP block to keep from pushing the bottom end out. Low speed torque is the enemy of a 6.5L bottom end.

The relationship with my buddy is: I turn wrenches and know how to get things to hold together while he can crank out #'s and tell my it works and what could work better. He's an amazing techy that runs 30psi on a stock engine (head bolts and gaskets included) w/ better turbo, WMI, and Propane.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll keep my specs to myself until I see what they do. I'd hate to let the #'s out then someone gripe about a failed design or even worse, loose a chance at marketing some custom cams! lol

Maybe I can come up with a cam and pump kit for 6.5's. I'm not to thrilled about rebuilding IP's but I could figure something out / out source that from a reputible shop.