What to buy at a Ford dealership bankruptcy?

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Local big dealership has gone tango uniform.

What are your suggestions to buy, tools for testing, maintenance, etc. Vehicles are 1993-94 E350 vans with N/A 7.3 and E4OD.

thanks for your help.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
their hoists ;)
timing meter if they got one

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
if they still have any of the rotunda kits like the oil cooler testor kit.... there is a "diesel service kit" for the idi's.... any service manuals...timing meters..... lifts are a hit miss item if your in the market. chances are an equipment dealer will be at that auction and will bid them up above a good used price.

you might find belts, hoses, idi specific parts in the parts dept if that stuff wasnt filtered to other dealerships...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OBD 2 scanners, coolant testers, battery chargers,and any spare IDI parts! (highly unlikely) but keep an eye open!

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I'd appreciate any part numbers for tools you could give me. The few pics available show lots of red plastic cases, which I assume are engine and trans specific tooling. I won't be able to look up dozens of part numbers to see if they apply to IDIs the day of the auction.

I already have all the major shop equipment, including a 10K lift.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate any part numbers for tools you could give me. The few pics available show lots of red plastic cases, which I assume are engine and trans specific tooling. I won't be able to look up dozens of part numbers to see if they apply to IDIs the day of the auction.

I already have all the major shop equipment, including a 10K lift.
you will have to buy the red boxes in a lot quantity. there are ebay trolls lurking for those sales. good luck competing.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all the car makes have been killing off the smaller dealerships and morphing the survivors into super mega-dealerships. bottom line....really bad for the consumer.

We have a pretty good local ford dealer here in town. They have one family that has owned it since they were selling model Ts. Lots of people buy from the, too. I even bought one use expedition from them. I would bet, though, it won't be long before some mega-dealer just buys them out.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the red boxes have a Rotunda number on them, unless they open the boxes and let you see the tools your stuck. Usually you can go thru the boxes, some have instructions and what there for. Go early, pencil and paper. Good luck.

Don't put the location on this forum, thousands of guests looking on here. Anyone wants to know, have them PM you.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Okay,

OBD2 stuff
coolant testers
oil filters
fuel filters
and ???????????????????????????

The 40+ rotunda kits will probably sell as a choice of the lots, for around $20 each, and the high bidder will usually buy them all. I'd like to know what ones are IDI & E4OD specific, and what others sell for on ebay. I don't want to spend $800 if it takes a year to get my money back.

I really don't need any more shop equipment. My area never recovered from the 2008 economic depression. Dozens and dozens of small and large shops, of all kinds have been liquidated, and the end is nowhere in sight. A huge equipment rental place (like Ahearn) is also being liquidated shortly. High quality shop equipment sells for 5-10% of new cost at these auctions, and there is so much of it, the local resellers cannot sell it all. Guys come from 1000 miles away, filling semi trucks, and reselling it for huge profit in their hometowns. I bought four Lincoln 275 squarewave TIGs, with all the factory accessories, and minimal use, for $300 each. Then I eventually ended up selling three of them for 400+ each.

Oh, and the govt just surplused another group of 1994 E350 IDI stretch vans, with raised roofs, and lots of tactical mods. All perfectly maintained, and in excellent condition, for 700-800 each. I'm still using the five I bought previously.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
In the parts department, you might get a good deal on body panels and door/interior parts. Especially early electric window switches or dash pads. Most people don't want to mess with big stuff, they are gold to the right market.