what things should I look for when buying a truck.

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
I am going to look at a 93 dodge 4x4 tomorrow and i am just looking for some suggestions or anything i should specifically look for on Cummins engines. I do know some about diesels so don't need the extreme basics just haven't messed with Cummins before so figured i'd ask the pros.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Might ask to see if the KDP (Killer Dowel Pin) has been fixed. Basically just go look at it like any other truck. The Cummins is a stout motor - the auto trans on the other hand aren't as good so just basically check her over good and go from there.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Also check the exhaust manifold and the bolts that mount it to the head. Over time, with the heat and cool cycles, the manifold will warp and bend the bolts and in some cases it will lift the head off the block.

Check for head gasket leaks. Ask how old the clutch or auto is cine rebuild.

wishi'sfishin

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice looked at a few trucks first and second gen. and am going to pick up a 93 on monday. It seemed to run the best and was stock except the smoke screw was turned up just a little. Only worry i have now is that the truck has 224k on what is thought to be the original auto tranny. Seemed to run good though and shifted through all the gears smoothly. Hopefully i wont regret trading my idi out for this one.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
If the truck has 224k on it there is no way the trannie is original. It may have been rebuilt at some point with OEM parts but it has definitely been worked on at some point. One thing you will definitely love about the truck compared to the IDI...you won't have to fix it every time the wind blows and your fuel economy will go up substantially.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online