What sensor is this?

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which sensor this is? It's in a 92 7.3 non-turbo.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's on the front of the block, driver's side, behind the water pump. I broke it pulling a head.

Thanks,

MoMo

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I believe that's the overtemp sensor. It tells you that your engine just melted. I think it triggers at 240*ish? I used it as an emergency switch to turn all my fans on, if they weren't already.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
if it's the one that up top and not on the head then it's the water temp sensor the over temp if memory serves is on the head it's self.... now it's been a while since I have owned an IDI but that is what my chicken wire mesh memory is telling me...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you are correct, mr ram owning traitor you, just kidding.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You are correct sir.... Its just as travis posted. The large sender in the head is the overheat lite and the smaller sender is just the dash temp gauge. Now a little more information on these senders. The large one in the head does nothing but ground out at 242 degrees. Then it signals the dash gauge to peg over to the very hot side of the gauge. So if you start up the motor and things tell you they are hot just remove the wire on the large sender. The gauge will show a normal temp.. Now ground out the wire from the large sender and watch the dash gauge show a hot motor. Kinda a crappy Ford idea isn't it.....

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
My bad! Had to look at the pic again to see that it wasn't the one in the head. Couldn't see past the migraine this morning....

Last edited:

zpd307

Reaction score
temp sender, i broke that plug off when putting on new belts. i had to jimmy rig a new connector on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle