WHAT NOW!!!

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right my buddy says he can change my turbo outlet housing for me since I have been working so much-(ATS upgrade outlet housing for 3") got everything changed over and all is well. Now we still can't get the new downpipe installed. 2nd day at it. We have heated the housing till it was dark red and froze the downpipe and it will not even begin to start in the housing. What gives here. Is there another trick to try????:dunno I'm about to set my truck on fire and roll it down the fricken hill.-cuss I'm getting to the point that I think ATS is about to recieve both items back and telling them to keep their junk.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
This seems to be a common problem.

I have the 088 non gated kit, but it has the same down pipe as your 3" add on one. Mine slips right in, and the key to this I noticed is the end that slips into the housing is slightly beveled in (symmetrically crushed if you will). Im not sure where you can have this done, but its been posted before, and I brought it up. Hopefully whoever did it before could tell you where to get it done. Maybe its a hydrolic shop that can do it for you. I know its something strange like that.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is the outlet mounted up on the turbo already? if not, bring the two parts down to a exhaust shop and have them "gently" swage down the pipe so it can fit better inside the outlet. Lastly, I'm sure you checked the outlet already, but make sure there's no casting flash left behind in the opening.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar problem when I installed my 088 system.

Heres what I did:

Take a 3" exhaust pipe clamp and carefully crush the top end of the downpipe between 3/4" and 1/2" from the top end of the downpipe. Then loosen the clamp and turn it 180 degrees and crush it again, this is to make an even crush pattern as the rod will do most of the "crushing".

Don't crush it too much, a small amount is all thats needed. Try it with as little visible deflection as possible and reposition the clamp as many times as needed to keep it even all the way around the pipe. By crushing it offset from the end of the pipe It gives a slight swivel ability that makes it easier to fit the pipe in under the truck. The cast iron Y pipe has a similar swivel interferance fit into the inlet housing of the turbo.

Mine slips in easily every time and doesn't seem to leak either (stainless steel though). Heating it up to install it will guarantee that its going to be nearly impossible to remove if you ever have to take the turbo off for some reason.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I have it in now. We took a hacksaw and cut a line about 1 1/2 down on one side of the pipe. Then took a piston ring compressor and squeezed it together and welded the cut back up. This thing still had to be beat in with a hammer. Still not all the way in but I'm done with trying. The tab that bolts to the crossover pipe in not usable no more so now I got to rig that up. Well I have to say ATS needs to consider using a band clamp style. Still plenty of room Thanks anyway guys I just needed it done today so I can get it going on the road again. Running oil is alot cheaper than buying gas every couple days. Thanks

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems to be a common problem.

are you nuts??mine is so damn loose that im embarassed to have a customer in my truck!!!!ats claimed that it was normal and will seal with soot.its been on there like 2 years and it still leaks.its junk and i wont recomend it to anybody!!

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well mine was the opposite. I couldn't get the damn pipe to fit in there with torches and hammers. So I end up cutting a line down the pipe as said earlier and welding it up. Well it fit but only went in 1/4". so I took it back out and cut another line down the pipe about 1 1/2" Didn't weld this one up and beat the pipe back in there. Went in most of the way this time. Everything seems to be sealed up ok as far as exhaust leaks so I'm finally done I guess. I would not recomend ATS to anybody either though. They do not seem to care if their product is worth the money or not, just sell it and ignore your after you pay for it. I've emailed them 5 times and never got a response.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had customer service on the phone and youre right they dont care about anything but the money.i didnt like the slip fit of the pipe to the outlet.that stupid little twisted bracket thing didnt fit right.i had to hack that to make it work.i shouldve left it stock.it was quiet and worked fine.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad I bought mine before they sold out and moved out of Utah.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin