What makes Idi better than power stroke

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing. .....

lol.though we may not like to admit it,your more than likely not too far off from the truth.:D

i didn't buy an idi truck because mostly they didn't come with turbo's.
i didn't buy an idi truck because i thought of it to be superior to other diesels (i wouldn't go past any of the 7.3's though.)
i didn't buy an idi ruck because i didn't think i could figure out and diagnose a computer controlled one.
i bought an idi truck (x2 now) because the price was right both times.they're awesome money makers.as a business owner,you want to max profit and keep costs down.this is how you bank more.the idi does this for me.
if i wasn't my own shade tree mechanic however,i would have lost my ass in the long run lmao.nothing to do with the engines.under 2k each in turbo's and intercool setups,but i mean the rest of the trucks due to age.they need a lot of loving cus they're all at least 20 years old now..........well it's 2015 now,so they didn't make an idi truck in over 20 years.

Last edited:

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Admit it guys! Owning an IDI is like owning a Harley! We know they drip oil, and rattle! We know there are other things superior! We know that when you get one you want to keep tinkering and putting money into it! And we know that purchasing a new stainless steel refrigerator for your wife would have been the wiser investment, BUT DAMIT THEY ARE JUST COOL!!!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
parts for idis I have found that they are a lot cheaper but no one can tell me there idi will out pull my powerstroke

Maybe not, but a turbo IDI will give it a decent run for it's money!

I think my setup with the HX35 is pretty close to comparable with a later stock 7.3 PSD in power.

IDIs are simple, easy and cheap. No computer to f things up. No emissions junk. Beyond that, I've already got one, it's payed for and I know everything about them.... why mess with anything else? About all I'd really gain from a PSD would be power, and that's not something I have much need for - the idi turbo does just fine.

That being said, i do then to recommend later 7.3 PSD or late 90's cummins trucks for folks - the idi is good if you know how to work on them, tune, etc, and don't mind an older truck. Not as good of an idea for someone who doesn't want a project.

lilHank

Reaction score
Maybe not, but a turbo IDI will give it a decent run for it's money!

I think my setup with the HX35 is pretty close to comparable with a later stock 7.3 PSD in power.

IDIs are simple, easy and cheap. No computer to f things up. No emissions junk. Beyond that, I've already got one, it's payed for and I know everything about them.... why mess with anything else? About all I'd really gain from a PSD would be power, and that's not something I have much need for - the idi turbo does just fine.

That being said, i do then to recommend later 7.3 PSD or late 90's cummins trucks for folks - the idi is good if you know how to work on them, tune, etc, and don't mind an older truck. Not as good of an idea for someone who doesn't want a project.

Well my powerstroke is kinda far from stock but no emissions were I live and it is chipped but runs very clean do to my larger turbo and intercooler I do have a 7.3 idi that im putting a 66mm turbo on so I might be really impressed with it lLOL and what are u talking about with later 7.3s do u have a problem with the obs powerstrokes? and How does that hx35 do for that idi?

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The list you gave him pretty much covers it. It pretty much just comes down to perspective and what some one wants out of their vehicle. If you were to swing by our parking lot at the Freightshaker dealership you'd see a bunch of Cummins guys, two of us IDI guys and a diesel VW beetle. Not much prodding goes on, can't laugh at 50mpg out of the beetle, mid to high teens out of the IDI's, some thing crazy like 1,000 hp out of one of the Cummins ISB's. IMO your buddy poking at you just displays his ignorance.

mcghan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idi definitley cheaper,i just got a 95 obs power stroke and got burned bad(needs engine)going back to fl in a couple weeks and getting my old idi,installing a turbo and bringing back to co,cant wait
You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let's talk when fuel returns to $5/gal again. my idi can run on 50% #2 plus whatever else I throw into the tank. a PSD will score the injectors due to the particulates in the fuel. if you are comfortable with climbing hills at a leisurely pace, a idi will do it all day long, no matter how hot/cold/wet/dry it is. I didn't say it's the first to the top, but it will get there.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Pro's:
Simplicity
Most parts are cheaper
Ability to run alternative fuels easier (more forgiving)
Less electrical to go wrong

Cons
Becoming obsolete, parts are starting to get harder to find (engine/chassis)
For the power, their fuel econonmy is not that great (my 6.0 makes at least twice the power, and gets the same fuel mileage, weighing about 1500lbs more).
At this point, most are old and tired
Knowledge about them is slowly fading away from most people (try to get someone at ford to time one)

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Pro's:
Simplicity
Most parts are cheaper
Ability to run alternative fuels easier (more forgiving)
Less electrical to go wrong

Cons
Becoming obsolete, parts are starting to get harder to find (engine/chassis)
For the power, their fuel econonmy is not that great (my 6.0 makes at least twice the power, and gets the same fuel mileage, weighing about 1500lbs more).
At this point, most are old and tired
Knowledge about them is slowly fading away from most people (try to get someone at ford to time one)

i agree Soon we're going to be Stuck with Parts store parts -cuss

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Admit it guys! Owning an IDI is like owning a Harley! We know they drip oil, and rattle! We know there are other things superior! We know that when you get one you want to keep tinkering and putting money into it! And we know that purchasing a new stainless steel refrigerator for your wife would have been the wiser investment, BUT DAMIT THEY ARE JUST COOL!!!

My Harley doesn't and never has dripped oil since I have owned it. It does rattle. I wouldn't trade it for anything though.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol.though we may not like to admit it,your more than likely not too far off from the truth.:D

i didn't buy an idi truck because mostly they didn't come with turbo's.
i didn't buy an idi truck because i thought of it to be superior to other diesels (i wouldn't go past any of the 7.3's though.)
i didn't buy an idi ruck because i didn't think i could figure out and diagnose a computer controlled one.
i bought an idi truck (x2 now) because the price was right both times.they're awesome money makers.as a business owner,you want to max profit and keep costs down.this is how you bank more.the idi does this for me.
if i wasn't my own shade tree mechanic however,i would have lost my ass in the long run lmao.nothing to do with the engines.under 2k each in turbo's and intercool setups,but i mean the rest of the trucks due to age.they need a lot of loving cus they're all at least 20 years old now..........well it's 2015 now,so they didn't make an idi truck in over 20 years.

It proved the ideal work horse for me too, for many of the reasons you list there. I didn't get rich in our small business (Dad and myself), but it was enough to pay the bills and put myself through college without going into debt. Even with a rebuilt engine and tranny, it paid for itself many times over.

Yes, you could say I am a little sentimental about my IDI now, but its also been the most reliable vehicle we ever had as a workhorse, or basic people carrier. If I was dumb enough I could just go out and buy a new truck now, but I can't bring myself to sell my soul after what the old beast did for us. Besides, I don't want a new powerstroke and I don't want a new ecoboost or any other catch phrase marketing buzzword.

...I want THIS truck!:fight:

And no, mine doesn't leak either.;Really

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Simplicity is reliability is beauty. And EFI vehicle can't touch the reliability of a purely mechanical vehicle, too many single points of failure.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my IDI e250 because it checked all the boxes I needed checked. Those were reliability/longevity, the ability to haul my 5+ a dog family around in comfort, the ability to tow my track car to the track and it was priced well for a 95% rust free van. Notice that no where on my list was "Make crazy hp/torque numbers" or "Win a drag race".

It also fit me because I like to do 95% of maintenance, repairs and upgrades myself. My father, on the other hand, fixes things with his check book. I would not recommend an IDI to him because most need a bit of TLC and TLC is expensive if you pay someone to do it.

It was all about return on investment..... the less I spend on it the more I have to play. To get an equivalent (mileage/overall shape) PSD van I would have ended up paying quit a bit more. Mine is super cheap at the BMV and insurance. As far as maintenance, I have never owned a PSD so I don't know.

In other words I didn't need a Ferrari to take the kids to soccer practice. Sure it's nice, but for my needs it is overkill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle