what kinda MPG's is your IDI getting an tips on some other stuff???

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goofyexponent,
Did you run the stock tires (235/85/16) and what kind of KPL (MPG) did you get.
I had a set of 265's and went back to stock 235's mileage got a little better.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run around 20 mpg empty, and fully loaded with the lowest about 16-17 mpg. Then again with my 4.10s and C6 I run 60 tops on the highway. It ****** people off, but I enjoy the ride of a 4+ ton beast while watching all of the plastic death traps zip by. The tires are straight out of ""Hot Rod Lincoln" and are 265/75-16s with lugs so I can pull the 32' gooseneck loaded through the fields loaded with hay, or broken down tractors - whatever.

There's no kickdown on the tranny, the modulator is crap so she shifts a little hard, but the truck is a gem to me no matter how rough it looks. I double checked the speedo with a Garmin Rhino and Im pretty much right on. Though in my current project 88 I want to go with 3.55s since it's not going to be pulling the gooseneck, just off the frame mount receiver hitch in back.

Of course I do throw in a few additives every now and then. Every tank throughout the year gets at least one bottle of isopropyl, Howes treatment when I can afford the extra cost, and at least some 2 cycle oil, ATF, and some waste oil in most tank fills. It likes the Howes, the engine seems to quiet down a little, and the 2 cycle adds to the feel of the skinny pedal. But I'm running shy of the synthetic 2 cycle, may actually have to buy some at some point.

I run synthetic oil in everything but the engine crankcase. Why not there? Because it already has a crush on the Mobil Delvac 15w40 I feed it year round. The engine I just picked up I may try synthetic in since it's got better gaskets on the valve covers and belly pan. We'll see.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I'd like to go to 235s on the 88 since I plan on doing less towing in the fields. It's not going to be the workhorse the 86 is. I know from my experience that skinny tires have less rolling resistance and may give better mileage. But all my trucks run tires with a bigger foot print and get decent mileage, but a lot DOES have to do with maintenance and tuning. It always does.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 37" tires and T19, I just filled up last weeks got 16.7mpg

I cant seem to get good fuel mileage with my dually and zf5

Danoflapper

Reaction score
It depends on the given day. I get great mileage all week (relatively), but as soon as the weekend hits and I have the bad influence of my friends. Oops, there goes my average. lol

I get about 15-16 commuting to school empty and on the weekends i go through a lot of fuel. :peelout

I got 17.5 mpg once, but that was soooo boringly slow that I haven't done that again. lol

FordGuy100

Reaction score
FYI Since moving into town I have been using the truck as the "other vehicle." That means if only one of us leaves, we take the TDI. Last fill up for purely in city driving (not town driving, I mean going through at least a dozen lights to get to the nearest destination, speeds 35-50mph), was 15.5mpg. Not bad for stop and go.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I get 13.7mpg in town so far in my CC

needless to say I need to fix some leaks since I have 2 drips/sec hitting the ground at idle from my return lines and injector caps

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I get 13.7mpg in town so far in my CC

needless to say I need to fix some leaks since I have 2 drips/sec hitting the ground at idle from my return lines and injector caps

Same here...I've got a few things to button up on mine as well...will get to it eventually.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I got the viton o-rings from Russ awhile back....did em last week and still getting leaks...I think I need new hats..wish I could just buy the return hats.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Goofyexponent,
Did you run the stock tires (235/85/16) and what kind of KPL (MPG) did you get.
I had a set of 265's and went back to stock 235's mileage got a little better.

Well, this is where my mileage gets messed up.

My winter tires are 235 85 16's. HOWEVER, in the winter the refinery only produces winter time fuel. As soon as that stuff hits the tanks I know it within the first week without being told. I instantly lose 2 or so MPG and the truck isn't as snappy as it usually is.

I might stuff the winter tires on a couple weeks early before the snow flies and see what I get out of them. My winters are WAY more aggressive tham my summer tires however. A more aggressive tread will eat up fuel faster than a highway type tread.

http://tires.canadiantire.ca/view/product/0062335

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
so i jus did 700 miles on 36 gallons of fuel in my 88 CC DRW LB 5speed with 410 rearend im told my tank are front 19 an rear 18 so yea it was getting a lil low an this is going by the trip i set it when i topped off both tanks ...now i have been told i can swap a 35 gallon bronco tank for the rear an that there is a 25 to 35 gallon tank i can get for the front im not complaining i love the mpg's an that was all mixxed driving prolly around 70% city an 30% hwy ......im jus wondering what kind of mpg's anyone else is getting ....an are there any tricks to getting a few more mpg's out of this big ol truck ......................thanks

So did you put 36 gallons of fuel in it or are you basing it off of the 2 tanks capacity.

You have to actually run the miles THEN fill the tanks. Divide you milage by ACTUAL gallons consumed. NOT by tank capacity

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
My 86(6.9, N/A, T-19,3:55 gears) when I actually did drive it, got 17MPG(once , had the 37s and all highway)
The rest of the time i get 13-16 w 315s(mixed highway/suburbs)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online