what kinda MPG's is your IDI getting an tips on some other stuff???

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i jus did 700 miles on 36 gallons of fuel in my 88 CC DRW LB 5speed with 410 rearend im told my tank are front 19 an rear 18 so yea it was getting a lil low an this is going by the trip i set it when i topped off both tanks ...now i have been told i can swap a 35 gallon bronco tank for the rear an that there is a 25 to 35 gallon tank i can get for the front im not complaining i love the mpg's an that was all mixxed driving prolly around 70% city an 30% hwy ......im jus wondering what kind of mpg's anyone else is getting ....an are there any tricks to getting a few more mpg's out of this big ol truck ......................thanks

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
;Sweet 19.4 MPG in a truck that big is pretty darn good!

I haven't run enough fuel through mine unloaded to know what my MPG is since the 5 speed swap. I was getting 16-17 with the c-6 and GVO, so I am hoping for similar numbers to yours.

We did pull a 12k lb trailer 500 miles. Used about 50 gallons of fuel. My buddy was pulling his 5er with a newer PStroke and whenever we fueled our totals were within $3 or 4 each time, so I felt pretty good about that.

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am kinda babying it an keeping my hwy speeds at 65 on cruise im super happy with the MPG's in a 6800lb truck ..an i hope if i go to 19.5 or 22.5 tires i can get a lil better on the hwy mpg

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Around town, I've been as high as 17.8 and as low as 14. I started adding a quart of ATF ever other tank and mpg went up 1.5 mpg on the 2nd tank. Checking it now to see if it was a fluke or what

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my original 110K IP and injectors I was getting 13 regardless of if it was highway or city.

On my rebuilt uhaul IP and injectors...I only took a few trips but I didn't do better than 14 mpg highway. Something is currently screwed up.

Currently working on swapping uhaul injectors back out for the originals (which ironically all tested between 1600 and 1700 psi) to see if it does any better.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around town, I've been as high as 17.8 and as low as 14. I started adding a quart of ATF ever other tank and mpg went up 1.5 mpg on the 2nd tank. Checking it now to see if it was a fluke or what

Added ATF to what, the fuel??

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure it was added to the fuel. These pumps were made when diesel fuel actually had lubricity to it. My buddy dumps 1 qt of ATF in each of his 2 tanks on his diesel ranger every time he fills up. I run 2cycle oil in mine, or if i come across some old clean engine oil I will dump it in.

My buddy was cleaning out their shop and found 2 2.5 gallon jugs of Permatran that had been sitting for years. the additive package had settled out on the bottom. Poured the oil out through a strainer funnel and left all the additive goo in the jug. Man my truck ran smooth with 2.5 gallons per tank.

Back to the thread, ive been getting about 15 with mostly all in town driving. lots of short trips to school, and the occasional smoke-out. I have seen 20.2 once. otherwise highway is about 19 or so

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually around 15city and upper teens highway unloaded. With a decent load it drops considerably.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well I have several of these old diesels, as you can see from my sig. I can honestly say if you're getting 19.4mpg out of that dually crew cab you're doing amazingly well. My parents srw crew cabs get about 14-16mpg at the best. My single cab NA trucks regularly get in the high 19's, but I had one truck that got particularly good mileage and I'm not sure why. It was a 2wd f250 that was pretty low to the ground for an f250 and it regularly got over 21mpg. One summer I got 23mpg out of it, but never have done it again since that summer. My brother has a srw single cab factory turbo truck that he only gets 13mpg out of on the highway.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Added ATF to what, the fuel??

Sorry, it was to the fuel. 1/2 quart per tank. Heard a few on OB doing it and had a few quarts laying around, thought that I would try it. Runs smoother and so far better than any other additives I've tried.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeh i am currently running 2 stroke additives in mine. seems to help, but then again i have almost been doing it from when i bought the truck...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.im jus wondering what kind of mpg's anyone else is getting ....an are there any tricks to getting a few more mpg's out of this big ol truck ......................thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

just got her lined up this morning.she was pulling hard to the right.
i just replaced both inner tie rod ends day before yesterday.they where shot and clunking!
now that she's running true again,im hoping this helps.

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17 roughly. 4spd t19, probably orig. fluid in diffs, shot ujoints on the driveline, and boost leaks out the butt :rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online