what kinda MPG's is your IDI getting an tips on some other stuff???

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did you put 36 gallons of fuel in it or are you basing it off of the 2 tanks capacity.

You have to actually run the miles THEN fill the tanks. Divide you milage by ACTUAL gallons consumed. NOT by tank capacity

i went from empty filled the tanks it took 36 gallons to fill ( i know getting that low on fuel is bad but i wanted to get a good idea of how it would do ) an then wrote down the mileage set the trip an drove it mostly city but the run to an from SC round trip was 130 miles of highway an i did that a few times at 60 on cruise i ran it thru the rear tank switched to the front an ran it back down to the uncomfort level it was at when i filled up ....so at the refill the pump stopped at 36 gallons matching the original fillup then i checked the milage an it was 700 ......i would like to add that after adding some additives and some 2cycle my milage dropped ALOT! like down to 13 to 15 mpg i dont know why i drove it the same but im on a new fill up so i am waiting to see what i get this round if i can stay 16 to 20 mpg i will be happy ......anyone got any pointers to do that for my truck 88 CC/DRW/LB/410's/5speed

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know getting that low on fuel is bad but i wanted to get a good idea of how it would do )
what bad can come of running it dry on a tank? AFAIK it will stall and be hard to start when switching to the other tank..?

After rebuilding my front end and fixing boost leaks I get about 18 hhighway accelerating hard. Least I'm somewhere around there. Minor fuel leak too.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
i went from empty filled the tanks it took 36 gallons to fill ( i know getting that low on fuel is bad but i wanted to get a good idea of how it would do ) an then wrote down the mileage set the trip an drove it mostly city but the run to an from SC round trip was 130 miles of highway an i did that a few times at 60 on cruise i ran it thru the rear tank switched to the front an ran it back down to the uncomfort level it was at when i filled up ....so at the refill the pump stopped at 36 gallons matching the original fillup then i checked the milage an it was 700 ......i would like to add that after adding some additives and some 2cycle my milage dropped ALOT! like down to 13 to 15 mpg i dont know why i drove it the same but im on a new fill up so i am waiting to see what i get this round if i can stay 16 to 20 mpg i will be happy ......anyone got any pointers to do that for my truck 88 CC/DRW/LB/410's/5speed

DO you use your truck to tow?

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
what bad can come of running it dry on a tank? AFAIK it will stall and be hard to start when switching to the other tank..?

After rebuilding my front end and fixing boost leaks I get about 18 hhighway accelerating hard. Least I'm somewhere around there. Minor fuel leak too.

If your tanks are crappy and rusting out or just trash you could suck it up and stop up your selector valve or your filter. I run mine dry from time to time since my fuel gauge quits working after about 9gallons are used. When it begins to stall and cut out i just switch tanks and leave it in gear so the lift pump keeps working. I also have filters before my selector valve on my tanks as well as before the lift pump. I rather replace the $3 filters than the lift pump, selector valve or head filter.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Running a tank empty will do no harm. All the crap and water is ALWAYS at the bottom anyway so it makes NO DIFFERENCE if it is full or empty because it is always drawing from the bottom, where all the crap is.

Let me say that again. All the crap is at the bottom right where the pickup tube is so the fuel level does not matter

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's jus kinda a thing in my head from my grandpa always saying never run it dry ..he used to say get to a quarter or an eighth tank an flip your switch so i always figured it was bad to run it dry ....lol....

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine says running a tank dry screws an electronic engine up but he never explained his thought process.

Makes complete sense what you said Brad.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Running a tank dry when it has an in tank fuel pump can shorten the life of the fuel pump and cause premature failure. This is because the fuel is what cools it. So, if there's no fuel surrounding the pump and it's workin up a storm gettin hot then......

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
All the michgan rally guys hated me when I told them my crew cab 2wd dually zf5 4:10s 7.3 with 317k gets 22 hwy 18 city

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online