What is this box next to my steering column?

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 1985 F350 there is a box on the right side of the steering column. So far in my build for my dually I had to disconnect 2 wires from it.

I attached two images. What does this box do? Do we even need it?

The first wire that gave me a problem is the blue wire in the picture that is on the gray connector pigtail. It is the ground for the horn. I wasnt getting a constant horn. It would work sometimes with the key on and not others. So I spliced into that wire and grounded it and now my horn works like it supposed to.

The other wire I am pointing to is a green one in the same gray connector pigtail. This one goes to the brake lights. I put a flatbed on my dually and hooked up new LED tail lights. The tail lights picked up a 4 volts going to the left and right turn signal wires which lit up the LEDs very dim only when I turned the key on. I wont tell you how long it took me to trace where these 4 volts came from :mad: but I disconnected this wire too and everythings works just as good as before. :thumbsup:

I dont understand why this box is even there. Its just been giving me problems. Anyone know what its for or if we even need it?

Attachments

• ECM1.jpg
    ECM1.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 37
  • ECM2.jpg
    ECM2.jpg
    848.8 KB · Views: 28

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Cruise control mod. my led's did same thing. i unhooked the module. but if you unhook it your horn wont work. lol

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats funny because On my leds the 4 middle ones are just barely lit with key on, I dont mind , but been racking the melon trying to figure it out, kinda like daytime running lights, but know I know why.

THANKS

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yea i had same issue russ. so i statred unhooking things. when i unhooked that box, it went away. so i left it out. looked up the numbers and it is a cruise control module. i left mine out since i didnt need it. was in the crawler.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys dont have to unhook the box. There is a green 2 wire pig tail that loops back to itself. All it does it goes to the brake switch and lights and back to the Cruise Box like Corey called it.

Ill try to get pictures of it. But thats all I unplugged to get those "day running lights" off.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cruise control mod. my led's did same thing. i unhooked the module. but if you unhook it your horn wont work. lol

Well you know why the horn is hooked to the cruise control don't you??

Cuz when you blast the horn to get that Cummins out of the way, it increases the speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73