What in the World?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valve cover chamber and then intake then smoke.
Worn valve guides are an issue for turbo trucks.
Wasn't touching on the seal subject.
Oh, OK.

As far as that goes, well, my experience is that you get a ton of blowby no matter what you do. As long as you have a CDR valve pulling it into the intake to be burned, you are fine.
Every single IDI I have worked on has had a massive amount of blowby - my turbo trucks, my NA ones, even when I had a 7.3 fully rebuilt, it had a lot of blowby.
Of course, as I always use a CDR and not a RDT or anything, it all gets burned cleanly and it doesn't create 'smoke' out the tailpipe.

As far as the worn valve guides go, I'm convinced that that is due to the too-tight valve stem seals used. Less lubrication = more wear. And the valve guide is much softer than the valve stem, as far as I've seen.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Yeah I can say my seals were pretty much cooked anyway when my engine was apart. I'm not sure they last long anyway on an older engine if not rebuilt.
I agree they tend to like their blowby. Seems like everything in these engines is therefore oily, so for that reason I'm not sure I believe the seals are preventing lubrication. I could imagine the exhaust valves getting heated dry under pressure but the hat wouldn't help or hinder that anyway but theories are just theories.
Need better guides I guess.