What in the World?

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck started smoking white (unburned fuel?) and missing, So I used my had to rev the throttle under the hood while watching the exhaust to see if it would clear with a little rpm. I was probably at about 2000 rpm and heard a pop and then a loud bop, bop, bop, coming from the intake with each revolution. Intake valve was my first thought? What kind of damage would a leaking injector do that would cause a back firing through the intake? Trying to decide where to start.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the valve cover. See what broke.

Not sure what kind of smoke would have caused this damage, but the missing and white smoke is very much like symptoms I had when I had water in my fuel.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed an electric pump and I thought maybe it was advancing the IP to much, but when I put a gauge on it it was saying 5-7 psi at the filter. So as I was letting it run trying to see if it would clear up something let go.

theshyguy

Reaction score
Unburnt diesel will be black. Is the smoke for sure white or a blue tint to it? Smell sweet or burn your eyes?

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black smoke is overfueling, where white (smells like raw diesel) smoke is just completely unburnt fuel, like a dead cylinder.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chances are you'll find either a bent pushrod or loose rocker. Probably not a bent/broken valve. I suppose you *could* have a dropped valve/broken valve spring, but it's pretty rare.

Remember, the valve to piston clearance is like .030" at one point in the cycle. If a lifter sticks and 'pumps up', the piston can easily whack the valve. The valve is square to the piston, though, so what'll happen is it will bend the pushrod, which is the 'weakest link'.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Am so looking forwards to read what the cause was. Way too many variables to venture a guess.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope to pull it apart this week with some warmer weather coming. I don't want to start it again...but...I was thinking of starting it letting it idle while cracking injectors to locate which cylinder dropped. What do you guys think?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I would not start this engine but I would pull valve covers. Maybe hand crank the engine thru a complete revolution. That can tell you most anything you need to know. If a piece of a valve dropped please remember the clearance between the head and top of the piston is around 40 thousands.. Not enough clearance for a piece of a valve.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pull the valve covers. It's not that big a deal, really!
The only pain point is the fuel filter which will have to be removed I believe.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Just pull the valve covers. It's not that big a deal, really!
The only pain point is the fuel filter which will have to be removed I believe.
And the HVAC. Passenger side kinda sucks. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online