What clutch are you running and how do you like it?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I am shopping for a clutch and would like some feedback from the board as to what you are running and how you like it. My brother put a Centerforce Stage 2 clutch in his '86 and I do like the pedal feel. What do y'all havae and how do you like it?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I have a luk clutch. I likey

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
napa brand SMF conversion. unsure what brand it actually is but i like it.

the crawler has a junkyard special that had alot of meat left. said luk. lol

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I have the SMF and it is stamped LUK. Corey, your clutch pedal is more like what I'm looking to attain. Mine takes a bit of effort to engage if you recall.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I run a Sachs in my GMC - it has held up to a lot of towing and loads. That was after shearing the hub out of my Centerforce disc.

I am running an Autozone clutch on my F350 and that too has been good, but have not towed much with it yet.

RedTruck

Reaction score
If you run the non dual mass flywheel there are a few options that I know of. Please correct my facts for you fellows that know...it's been a while since I've looked at this information:

You can purchase an 11" clutch and pressure plate as well as the factory 10". I purchased a 10" Sachs clutch through Navistar once. It came with what I thought at the time was a plastic throw-out bearing (plastic center section that rides on the shaft). I believe that is actually Kevlar and prevents the need to perform the yearly lube service to the clutch. I have also purchased an 11" clutch through CATCO. I don't remember the brand, but it has been a heck of a good clutch. Both of the units I purchased were complete kits with clutch pressure plate and throw-out bearing...surfaced the flywheel both times.

I believe LUK sells an 11" clutch.

Good luck with your project!

Paul

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine only has about 5k mi on it so I can't vouch for longevity but the pedal feel on it is the softest ive felt. It still feels like its got a real possitive engagement to. It is smf and the mechanic that put it in said it is a borg warner. I think he said super clutch or something. It is a joy to use, I just hope its not too good to be true.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Moosestang is running with a Lucky Mod, and Velero solid clutch disc and presure plate (used) from someone here on the board. LOL Free stuff! Actually, I am looking for a sprung disc. The solid one worked, but the experiment is over and I'd like to quiet things down a bit.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Moosestang is running with a Lucky Mod, and Velero solid clutch disc and presure plate (used) from someone here on the board. LOL Free stuff! Actually, I am looking for a sprung disc. The solid one worked, but the experiment is over and I'd like to quiet things down a bit.

How did it drive with the solid disc? Curious as to how engagement was.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Southbend full kevlar clutch with kevlar pilot bushing. Works awesome, great pedal feel, bites hard, and you can ride the snot out of It and it doesn't heat up and stink like a regular one...especially while soaked in mud and water

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have a Luk with unknown miles on it, the truck came with it. the clutch works fine until it heat soaks. then i bucks like a mad bronco if i try to slip it, the family has to get out and i clean off the dash if i am forced to slip it backing a trailer or something.

cold it is smooth and works well.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The engagement with the solid disk is just as smooth as with any other. With the Moosestang, it has been built for speed, and low RPM's, so it spends a lot of time down in the 700 to 1000 RPM "rattle zone" that eveyone who runs a SMF and ZF is familiar with. I do believe the solid disk may intensify the effect a bit. Changing the disc to a sprung one will confirm.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a perfection smf conversion kit iit was about $700 but does the job and has hels but to all I put it through. I haul, tow and play off road with it.