What all is involved in putting a 93 turboed 7.3 in place of my 91 n/a

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys its been a few years and another kid or two since I've been around. I have keep my trucks in fact I've added a couple. My main rig was a 1991 f-350 with 7.3 that had an ats non gated turbo on it. I added a used hypermax cooler to it. Its ran well, but I have just about used it up. It has used oil at times. Now I have a knock down low. I'm nursing it by for now. I am saving up the few pennies we have for a used engine. I was looking for a core 6.9 or 7.3, but my local salvage yard has a 93 with a turboed 7.3 with between 100,000 and 150,000 miles. Its close to my price range. I am seriously thinking about picking it up. I am trying to budget for what else I will need before I do it. I have a 5spd. Will I be able to use my flywheel. Also my inj pump has less then 10k on it. Can it swap over? What else am I missing? I remember there were some threads about installing the hypermax cooler on with those factory turbos. Can someone link me to it. Also I would like to know what are guys doing with the waste gates. TIA
Adam.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never done it, but the only thing I could think of would be the clearance of the exhaust and turbo from the fire wall would be my only concern.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flywheel goes with the zf5 no matter what engine its mated to, i would swap the ip & the injectors as they wear together.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have the cooler on the truck. I've had it for several years. I was thinking about an old thread that guys were building their own adapters.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything should be pretty interchangeable.. I will say this though.. A factory turbo motor has a different flywheel than a non turbo engine. They are weighted differently. So is the harmonic balancer

Slog58

Reaction score
I'm in the process of the same thing, swapping a 93 turbo 5 speed into a 91 n/a auto. By the post earlier, will the auto flywheel not work on the turbo engine?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Is the engine your thinking of installing actually a factory turbo engine? Might want to answer that before we continue offering advise. Say this engine is a factory turbo engine. then you will want to make sure you use the turbo damper and flywheel. Every idi engine flexplate or flywheel will bolt to every idi engine but the factory turbo needs a little more than a bolt up part. Also another nice surprise about ALL the idi engines. They are all drilled and threaded the same. So any part off any engine fits all engines. Bout the only thing that wont cross over is the 6.9 to 7.3 heads. You have to drill out the 6.9 heads to use them on the 7.3.because the 6.9 uses a 7/16 head bolt where the 7.3 uses a 1/2 head bolt. All idi injection pumps will work on all idi engines.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Is the engine your thinking of installing actually a factory turbo engine? Might want to answer that before we continue offering advise. Say this engine is a factory turbo engine. then you will want to make sure you use the turbo damper and flywheel. Every idi engine flexplate or flywheel will bolt to every idi engine but the factory turbo needs a little more than a bolt up part. Also another nice surprise about ALL the idi engines. They are all drilled and threaded the same. So any part off any engine fits all engines. Bout the only thing that wont cross over is the 6.9 to 7.3 heads. You have to drill out the 6.9 heads to use them on the 7.3.because the 6.9 uses a 7/16 head bolt where the 7.3 uses a 1/2 head bolt. All idi injection pumps will work on all idi engines.

Icanfixall said it best, when i first picked my 93 up i was under the impression it was factory turbo and upgrade although it was not (which was not a big concern regardless at the time of purchase)

Id like to say regardless of miles if you cant hear an engine run, and be confident of its condition with hearing it run, engine mileage really doesn't mean much. Coming from a background of service work my whole life, failure of ANYTHING can occur at any usage/mileage when your talking about a product that was mas produced, yes even cars/engines.

I have a lead/contact on a local stock turbo 7.3 '93 with 150,000 miles and yes i would consider picking the truck up pulling the motor for you, as i don't need it right now, and sending it to you with a running guarantee, id take a pre-engine-pull video of the motor, this is if the vehicle is still available as i havnt talked to him for a month or so. If its sometihng your interested in feel free to contact me, if not i thought id ask to help out a fellow forum meber/truck-owner, regardless good luck with the rebuild/swap!

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of the same thing, swapping a 93 turbo 5 speed into a 91 n/a auto. By the post earlier, will the auto flywheel not work on the turbo engine?

It will bolt on but it won't be correct balance wise, neither will the harmonic damnper.... This is straight from my book.. The factory turbo engine harmonic balancer is part # 1816624C1........ The N/A balancer is 1809117C1... It says in bold letters do not interchange them. I don't have the part numbers in front of me for a N/A flywheel and flex plate... But here are the ones for a factory turbo motor: The flywheel is F3TZ6375A and the flex plate for an auto would be 1816637C1. Search those numbers and that should get you the parts you need to get you going... If if it was my truck I would replace the rear main while I had the engine out swapping the flywheel/flex plate....

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh one more thing. Check the engine serial number to make sure its a turbo engine / block factory... It will start out reading : 7.3TU2U T meaning turbo. You can also check the pump calibration which should be 389T-R00. I quit going on the left valve cover sticks years ago cause so many have been changed

Slog58

Reaction score
Sorry guys, shoulda given a little background info. Here's the deal, I bought a 91 CCLB auto, drove it for a week and started smoking like a chimney and burning oil like it's it's job. Burned bout 3 quarts in less that 125 miles, I'm assuming rings or scored piston though I haven't looked into that motor yet.

So a guy I work with had a 93 ZF 5 speed that he put on its side 2 years ago. Still ran and drove, he ran it a couple times a year and parks it in a barn. I went out to look at it in August and it started fairly easily having not ran since March he said. The original owner windowed the block and put a 'new' one in. There's a sticker on the valve covers that says Dealers Diesel. My buddy said the motors only got like 80k on so I bought it drove it to the shop and pulled the motor. I've got new valve cover gaskets on, and waiting for front and rear main seals, oil cooler seal kit, turbo return o-rings, and oil pan gasket from parts guy.

Is the engine your thinking of installing actually a factory turbo engine? Might want to answer that before we continue offering advise. Say this engine is a factory turbo engine. then you will want to make sure you use the turbo damper and flywheel. Every idi engine flexplate or flywheel will bolt to every idi engine but the factory turbo needs a little more than a bolt up part.

I'm pretty sure the turbo on the motor is like a factory turbo would be, it's got that stupid EBPV butterfly valve behind the turbo. Though I'm not really sure what an aftermarket turbo looks like

It will bolt on but it won't be correct balance wise, neither will the harmonic damnper.... This is straight from my book.. The factory turbo engine harmonic balancer is part # 1816624C1........ The N/A balancer is 1809117C1... It says in bold letters do not interchange them. I don't have the part numbers in front of me for a N/A flywheel and flex plate... But here are the ones for a factory turbo motor: The flywheel is F3TZ6375A and the flex plate for an auto would be 1816637C1. Search those numbers and that should get you the parts you need to get you going... If if it was my truck I would replace the rear main while I had the engine out swapping the flywheel/flex plate....

So I can't use the flywheel off of the auto on the turbo 5 speed engine? I'm leaving the pickup auto. . . well that was the plan anyway. Also I feel like a **** but where's the balancer at? Behind the fan clutch?

Oh one more thing. Check the engine serial number to make sure its a turbo engine / block factory... It will start out reading : 7.3TU2U T meaning turbo. You can also check the pump calibration which should be 389T-R00. I quit going on the left valve cover sticks years ago cause so many have been changed

Where's that at on the motor?

Thanks for the help fellas
Appreciate it jay22day

Attachments

• 20150128_201438.jpg
    20150128_201438.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited: