Wet injector nozzles, and cruddy injector nozzles

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Alright, we finally got around to pulling the engine from my moms truck and upon tear down we noticed the inectors (the ones from good ole Diesel care) and only two of them didnt have wet nozzles. What the heck does this mean? Im honestly hoping there's a hole in one of the pistons in that thing or something cool like that, because after working on that engine for 3 months straight every weekend last year, I'd just love to see it in pieces.
Anyway, ALSO.
While tearing down our "8,000 mile" 6.9 we're putting in the truck all of those injectors had a nasty smelling crud built up on them. Now here's the deal with this engine, the guy we bought it from sold WMO systems and this engine very well could have had WMO ran in it.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wet injector tips were likely leaking. Don't know bout the cruddy ones.

We need some photos.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes wet tips are the definitive sign of a leaker. They've been peeing in your precups when you don't want them too, wasting fuel and messing up your timing. The crud comes from incomplete burn, very similar to the coaking issue I've got a thread about. A bad spray pattern is probably the cause.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have both sets currently at the local IH dealer getting pop and pattern tested. So in other words, both sets are probably ****, eh? lol thats great.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I think they said something like $75. I dont really know for sure yet. They are the only place around that can do it, so Im pretty much over the barrel.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So roughly 5 bucks a piece. Labor is about $75-90 per hour so that sounds decent enough

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If You search there is a thread with pics and all to make your own pop tester out of a car jack.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
COOL thanks man! I may just have to build me one of those. Since i have 6 sets of Bill Williams injectors to test and confirm they are all ****! lol

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Word of caution for anyone attempting to make a homemade pop tester. DO NOT get your pipe fittings at the local home center or plumbing supply. They are only rated for a couple of hundred PSI at most ( can you say schrapnel :fan: Get your pipe fittings at a hydraulic hose shop where they carry the high pressure rated stuff.
Doesn't do you much good to save $300 on a pop tester only to spend $30,000 on surgery and a year recovering cookoo

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ok, it cost me $90 including shop supplies to have those good ole pieces of **** of Bill Williams tested. All but one tested out okay. 7 of them were popping off and just over 2000psi but one was popping off at below 750psi and then it would hang open and just **** and **** and **** until it finally would close and then would pop again and do the same crap all over again.

I would place a safe bet that injector is what blew the engine in that truck. The service tech had said that with it popping so low and then literally ******* at all times afterward it likely hyrdolocked the cylinder and cracked a piston, THERES WHERE THE OIL BURNING CAME FROM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online