Were fr & rr sway bars a common option on our trucks?

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering how common they are. Seem to be hard items to find. Had 3 different f-250's and none had factory swaybars.
1 custom, 1 XL, and 1 XLT is what i've had so I don't think they were more common by trim level, so whats the deal?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Trim level had nothing to with it. It was a suspension pkg. Like a camper or towing pkg. I have never seen in person, but I have seen pics. Sway bars in F350s was more common

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rear axle came from a 97 f250 crew cab that had a sway bar. Its Nottingham under my truck bit is tied out of the way as i haven't had time to put it on lol.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Trim level had nothing to with it. It was a suspension pkg. Like a camper or towing pkg. I have never seen in person, but I have seen pics. Sway bars in F350s was more common

^^What he said, except the seeing them in person part.
My 92 is the only factory F250 IDI that I have seen them on, but it also has a hell of a rake (4-5") and some stiff rear springs in it from the factory...

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
ok i will add what i have gathered if you think about it, the gas F-250's have a different core support and they have a plate that runs across the front of the frame that it attaches to, with a diesel the core support hangs below the frame so the plate will not fit wich is why i have never seen one on a diesel f-250 however i have seen them on the rear. the 2wd are a different story cause they attach differently to the frame , and the f-350 s attach behind the axle. this is just what i have learned in my search for swaybars for my old f-250. this info may not be correct!

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
My 2wd diesel F250 and 4wd gas F250 had the same swaybar mounts on the frame, but the bar, and it's attachment to the axle were different.
The "plate" under the core support wasn't so much a mounting point (it's still mounted with the two body mounts) it was more like a reinforcement for the front of the frame rails.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My F350 4wd has factory sway bars front and rear. It has the optional tow package, which I think included them.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 has one in the front, not sure about the rear. I kind of don't think so. I found a different truck that had them and the sway bar was different. I've been trying to replace or R&R this thing for about a year now with limited success. It looks like from searching JC Whitney that there are at least 2 different styles.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 84 came with them from the factory. But it also came with a 460. When I went to install the diesel core support, there was no way the sway bar was going to work. I used the tall / narrow radiator if that makes a difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin