well thats over with

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
So... i checked my glowplugs as suggested yesterday. and of course ya'll were right on the money. Three bad plugs. So its saturday afternoon and ford parts is closed. called all ovr town and could only find autolites. My father in law said what about Pepboys. I despise Pepboys but called anyways. They had 4 Bosch in stock. I got three and put them in. Of course two were under the turbo. I wanted Ford but heard that Bosch is ok and knew i didnt want autolites. Put em in and it starts perfect. Glowplugs cycle on for about 15 seconds on first round. glad i didnt put the switch in now. Thanks for the advice. Then I changed the thermostat. Found the old thermostat had managed to bust the plastic ring off of the bottom and it stuck in the thermostat and held it open. Replaced with ford product and i have heat once again. Thanks for the all the advice. One last question, i noticed today that the oil pressure gauge drops and the needle bounces when i hit the brakes. At idle and under throttle it shows what it has always showed. Should i check the connection? Any suggestions?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the oil pressure sending unit and the connection to it. The wire bounces around on the connection for 100xxx miles and gets weak. Usually just repairing the wire is all it takes, but I've seen the sending unit go bad.

Keep an eye on the Bosch glow plugs. In my experience, you don't want anything other than Motorcraft/Beru plugs. I'd suggest buying a set of 8 and just installing all of them to establish a baseline for how long they've been installed. Any aftermarket plugs can and will swell in the precup and be difficult or impossible to remove. Not knocking your repair, just trying to save you some time.

Glad you got 'er running!

Ryan

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
well availability was a problem, that said the autolites i removed easily and were complete. i figure i would use a bosch sparkplug before i used an autolite. had to get it running. seems better ill replace the rest as they blow but hopefully a bosch is better than autolite. plus i changed the hard to reach ones and when time and money allow i will replace all of them with Ford brand

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good job and really glad you didn't install crapolites.. Those will allow you to see what the pistons and cylinders look like. About the thermostat. I usually cut off the rubber seal under the stats. I leave the part thats glued to the body but remove with an exacto knife the seal lip area.. All that does is acts like a seal. Seems the metal to metal doesn't seal too well plus.... Removing that part allows more flow thru the stat... PS... I wouldn't change just some of the plugs as they go bad. Do them all at once and save the used ones for spares...:sly