Weird vibe

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I use a razor blade scraper and brake clean. Fine sandpaper if you have to.
Iirc, good to use some thread sealer on the bolts. Or at least anti-seize.
I also use the aviation gasket sealer stuff on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any great tricks for getting the old gasket off and the surface clean?

Big not-so-sharp scraper (performance tool el cheapo) followed by brass brush and wd-40 or similar, then wipe clean with blue rag, followed by IPA (alcohol) or brake cleaner to get the wd-40 off. Works on both gasket and silicone pretty well. You can use this technique even on Aluminum engines, it will scratch the surface but not enough to need resurfacing so long as you use the brass brush and not the steel one. You can use the steel one on stubborn material on real metal, sparingly. Not a grill brush, just the cute little one.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. Unfortunately I did most of the particular stuff with the water pump before I got to this advise but I don't think I did to bad. I used that permatex aviation gasket brown snot on both sides of the gasket instead of rtv. That's not a mistake is it? Also I used a hose spraying off everything while I slugged it out with gasket removal. Then at the end sprayed out the coolent passages. Does that risk getting stuff and water into anything important? I ran it without belts and I'm pretty sure it still has the 2000 rpm vibe but mabe smoothed out at 900 and 2500? Dunno yet but I will post up.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you tell just by looking the difference between the turbo idi harmonic balancer and the regular one? Unless the reman motor comes with its own it's probably the one of my old na motor. Would using an na harmonic balancer on a turbo motor be wrong in a subtle enough way that a guy would drive it that way or would it be all wrong? If it's a difference I could see pictures would be great (riot). With belts off it definitely seems like something is out of balance.

suv7734

Reaction score
Here is the page from the Ford manual

You must be registered for see images attach

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice info guys, thanks. Well it's not the water pump. The new one has much less play in it but the vibe is still there. I can't see any Part # with it on there. Is it just loosen the belts and pull the 4 bolts to get it off? Also is that a auto parts store item or dealership?

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool I think I have one that will work. So just four bolts and whatever it takes to pull it. Hard to see up in there

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if the harmonic balencers are different between the idi and idit then that is likely my problem. The one that is on there is from my na motor. Anybody know where to get the proper one? I'm gonna start a fresh thread.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used that permatex aviation gasket brown snot on both sides of the gasket instead of rtv. That's not a mistake is it?

I don't think it's really recommended for coolant, but they don't say not to use it for coolant, either. Permatex sells RTV specifically for water pumps and thermostat housings, that's what I use. Comes in a tiny little tube in a blister pack.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've used the aviation on water pumps and thermostats.
Let's see what Al (riotwarrior) has to say about it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk