Weird vibe

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aviation gasket maker AKA Indian head shellac AKA snot is all I use on water pumps and thermostat. And I lay it on thick when I do it

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you tell just by looking the difference between the turbo idi harmonic balancer and the regular one? Unless the reman motor comes with its own it's probably the one of my old na motor. Would using an na harmonic balancer on a turbo motor be wrong in a subtle enough way that a guy would drive it that way or would it be all wrong? If it's a difference I could see pictures would be great (riot). With belts off it definitely seems like something is out of balance.

As Oog a plug LOL
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?59057-Replacing-water-pump

Also love elephant snot...:sly;Sweet

I just shot these images here for ya to show you the differences
non turbo harmonic...notice me pointing at timing mark, notice angle of bolts and the cast in solid section near top...
You must be registered for see images attach

TURBO harmonic

together and the NA one is a different one I installed the timing tape on still same hole orientation and lug weight too!

Hope this helps you out.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al, I'm a little confused. On the last pic, the top harmonic is for an NA and the bottom harmonic is the turbo. The turbo would be about 25* advanced then. Am I thinking right?

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics riot. Looks like russ has one he says is good he's gonna sell me so hopefully that search is over. The buying one new option was not looking good

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of timing, would having the wrong balancer give me the wrong timing if I timed it with whatever you call the method we use? My timing marks were jumping around when I timed it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All harmonic balancers have the timing mark in the same place. They are keyed to the crank so they show top dead center the same. If the rubber damper wears out and the weighted wheel slips is the only way you will have the timing mark in the wrong place. What type of meter and timing did you use. Generally speaking an erratic timing is due to a dirty or bad connection on the probes. My kent moore meters require an air gap between the damper and the magnetic probe. I recommend you clean out the tall skinny mag probe location with a 5/16 drill bit by hand too. I include them in my meter rental. Also the line clamp to the hard line must have the line snaded clean to bare metal for the clamp to have a good pickup.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what brand meter it is. It belongs to a buddy of mine. Now that you say that, I think we did get them to settle out once we sanded the hard line better. I think we decided it was a bad ground. He's a active member here so I'm pretty sure his meter is the same type you guys recommend. I'll check it out again once I get the right hb on.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The damper pics All is so nice to post may look like the zero mark is off by 20 degrees but it can't be. Its best to look inside the crank to damper for the keyway location. Not the outside area where the bolts are. BTW nice water pump leaker..:eek::angel: Looks like you got more than the 100% life out of that water pump...:thumbsup: