Oog does a waterpump.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Story:

1. Oog sells truck to a young man as his first diesel vehicle in July.

2. Oog gets texts and deduces that water pump is shot.

3. Oog asks young man if he wants to learn to fish or eat fish.

D. Young man says he's hungry, and not interested.

5. Oog owes OB a writeup.

5a. Oog does writeup.

A. You need super awesome belting buckle.
You must be registered for see images attach

1. Pull truck in. Truck pictured is a 7.3 IDI N/A. 2wd. Serpentine set up.

This was the problem \/. The fan pulley had quite a lot of weeblewobble left in it.

C. Hanyway. Back to writeup. After draining coolant using your petcock at the bottom of the radiator, you need to disco upper rad hose. I simply undid the hose clamp and then stuffed the hose out of the way for now.

D. Oog is a full-time, full ASS certified one of them mechanickers. Ooog therefore has many thousands of dollars in tools. Ooog has fancy dancy pneumatic fan clutch wrench that makes next step easy. There is a way of doing this using two wrenches, or even a long punch and hammer......but time is money, and I'm not getting paid for this one. Sooo.......yea. Taking the tools out and assembling them literally takes longer than buzzing the fan clutch off.

Da.

Fan clutch buzzed off.

5. WAKEY WAKEY!! This part IS important.

-Remove all four shroud bolts before fan removal.
-Take the clutch off and leave it in the shroud.
-Remove fan and shroud together.
-During dis/reassembly make sure the fan remains vertical. The shroud's orientation is insignificant, but the clutch is vital.

6. Next remove four bolts, the washer with four holes and the fan pulley.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is how it goes: Block, pump, pulley, four holed washer/spacer, four bolts, fan clutch.

Pull the *********** off!

Oog is a firm believer in Gates timing belts, as well as water pumps. Oog has done countless timing belt component kits using all gates components, and Oog trusts them behind a timing cover as well as on the front of the engine.

Thread sealant and plug provided in water pumping device kit

Tighten it down to about here:

Oog has done who knows how many water pumping devices in the past, and he always comes back to the procedure of taking bolts out one by one and transferring them to the new pump. This prevents any possibility of bolts getting mixed up and one too long going into a hole too short (giggity)

Riotwarrior is right. Oog had to do several rotations to make sure the tips of the bolts didnt hit the gears. They do not.

Also all the bolts were wirewheeled and sealant applied to to prevent any coolant getting into the oil or othet fluid crosscontamination

HOLY ******* BATMAN! He told me it just started making the noise yesterday! Timing cover had some slight scratches, but no gouges nor anything that I would be conserned about

New pump with all old bolts transferred to their proper locations. You can see that four have shorter engagement than the other ones do. To combat this, Gates, in all their wisdom has provided us with......two. Two bolts. Thankfully they are a standard coarse thread bolt that our shop dipstick was able to pick up from the hardware store for $0.13.

Last edited:

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transfer all bolts from new pump to old pump doing them individually so their location remains constant.

Transfer heater pipe over, use sealant.

Scrape off remnants of gasket. Once again, time is money, Oog no get paid, Oog use roloc disk.

Turn new pump over, spread a thin layer of RTV, then smear it with ********* devices. Apply gasket, add a secondary sandwiching layer of RTV. This method has never let me down, nor squeezed excess RTV in places where it should not go.

reASSembly.

Purdy

Reinstall fan and shroud together. Screw fan onto fan pulley, then bolt shroud on.

I only had one gallon of SCA charged coolant, so that went in as well as two more gallons of regular green coolant.

Oogette come see Oog!!!! :D

Last edited:

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yarghhh...thar be some sweater b00bies under thar!

Oogette show off new pants to Oog. Shortly after, Oog's pants became very tight for some reason.

Ooog got new sticker.

Fin.

Last edited:

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an asortment of gizmos for my buzzer, but that aint one. I have to get that tool

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good write up, however RIOT no sure on why Oog swap long bolts in in place of short ones...those short bolts are there so you DON"T jam a bolt into timing gears...also should use thread sealant on those four short bolts going into plate, keep oil in dirt out!

Riot have same fan tool, Riot like fan tool worky gooder n all other tool tried before!

Also good use blue Locktite on fan nut stop fan eat rad problem...

Ooog right...nice Oogette pants...

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ptfe compound is a good idle, there was plunty smoie left for the bolts. that smoie could also find it way into the oil cooler

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for Oog to say "Jobs done!" or "Zub zub" But that might just be the beer.

LOL Good writeup Oog!

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the Lisle tool as well! Nice write-up. Money well spent! The first Dodge water pump I did was a disaster, so I bought the tool for the second, and have since used it at least 4 more times( On more Dodges!) And a few times on my truck. Works. Like. A. Charm.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Riotwarrior: oog completely forgot (this was done 3 weeks ago) But yes, the four bolts (two provided) are not the OEM bolts, but rather ones that have more engagement with no gear interference. Afterwards all bolts were wirewheeled and sealed. That sealer I bought to do a cylinder head on a jeep as the #11 head bolt threads into the water jacket

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a nice write up but.. Who is the person wearing the sweater. Can't be the truck owner cause you said the rig was sold to a young man. Questions needing an answer please. Also thats a very nice fan nut tool. I prefer a 24 and a 36 inch breaker bar on my factory fan nut wrenches. I can actually feel the torque I'm using plus the blue loctite gives me peace at nite knowing the fan wont marry the Rodney red radiater.....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats a nice write up but.. Who is the person wearing the sweater. Can't be the truck owner cause you said the rig was sold to a young man. Questions needing an answer please. Also thats a very nice fan nut tool. I prefer a 24 and a 36 inch breaker bar on my factory fan nut wrenches. I can actually feel the torque I'm using plus the blue loctite gives me peace at nite knowing the fan wont marry the Rodney red radiater.....
Gary,

Once you have that tool, there is NO going back....no muscle needed, just push and pull trigger and bam...fan is off NUFF said, not a grunt not a fight just B A M it's off.

I showed Guy the tool when he came, he was oh man I went and bought the wrenches, that's so much easier...OH and if you DON"T have AIR...BFH on end of shaft that fits into air hammer works as good as air hammer in pinch! Don't ask how I know LOL

Now if you want to keep grunting and potentially hurt yerself go for it....but I'll stick with me power tools!