Weight difference and distributions difference between a 7.3 and a 5.9

Reaction score
I am wondering what kind of weight differences there are in an early model 7.3 Powerstroke and a 5.9 12V. Also, do the V8 and I6 configurations play any kind of role as far as weight distribution? We are thinking about dropping a 12V I have into a 96 F350 crew cab chassis I just happen to have laying around and I am wonder how the suspension will be effected. I have a semi custom suspension idea in mind that includes using new stock coil springs from a two wheel drive F350. My way of thinking tells me if they support a 7.3 just fine a 12V should be a non issue. But I am also wondering about other quirks that might be weight related as well.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I think they are real close in weight and I have seen a couple of fords with the cummins swapped in and the height wasn't much different if any.
Can't help on the distribution question though.

Reaction score
AT least I know stock springs will be up to the task then. I wonder how a six cylinder and an eight cylinder can be so close in weight.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I think that the internals on the 5.9 a real beefy. In the pics I have seen the rods look big compared to those from a PS. I bet the crank is heavier also, though I'm just guessing there as i haven't seen one even in pics, let alone side by side with one from a PS.

codyjoe1128

Reaction score
the internals of the cummins are way beefier than the psd...they are built to last forever...the psds last a long time but the cummins will last just as long at way higher power levels than you can get outa the psd...hate my dodge but love my cummins...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early 7.3 PSD dry weight is 920-960 lbs. Cummins 4bt 782 lbs. 6bt 1150-1200 lbs.

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
My truck set about the same height when i put a 12v in it. Thats on stock f350 springs, if a guy was running a heavy bumper I would say he needs heavier springs.

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
I know when I did my d60 swap the spring place I called in kc had different weight ratings I could choose from. Im pretty sure they also offered them with three instead of two. I think Firestone or airlift makes an airbag kit for the front of our trucks as well.

Reaction score
I plan to bag my dually but not this build. I also plan to use coils. Do you know if they can help me with that? The place I use to use has gone down hill bad.

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres no worries for the spring or suspension, i wasnt even sure if it was a serious question so i kept going.

i intend to put a cummins in my e350 psd when it dies, it has over 800 on it and should die one of these times i fire it up, its relegated to very low use since i moved out of detroit.

fresh psd coils for a van may work out fine if you want to convert the front to coils if you want to save costs and research from custom.

i find that funny as i plan to put a leaf sprung front axle in my van to convert it to 4x4 when the cummins eventually goes in;p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726