Water pump?

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I got to stop trying to do things to this truck... it's going to be ALL new before it hits the road.
Anyway, when changing belts, I noticed that I can move the fan about 1/8" back and forth, it looks like it's rocking the shaft of the water pump.
The end of the blade of the fan goes from / to \ (front of truck to back of truck) moving about 1/8"
Is that really bad change the water pump? or you think it's got some life left in it?
I can't see any think that looks like it's leaking, rad was full, overflow bottle was 1/2 full, no notice of water marks, but the truck has been sitting for 3 years too.

I get *SO* close to being on the road then another thing jumps up and hits you where yo least expect it.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
i would swap it out.
they are not that expensive,or hard to change.
besides,if that waterpump goes bad and takes out the radiator you will really be kicking yourself :frustrate -Deadhorse -cuss

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be the fan clutch and not the pump shaft that is moving. They usually leak way before they go. If you do decide to replace the pump, get a quality Ford or IH pump. The cheap pumps are imported rebuilds and don't have the good machining of the OEM pumps.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Agnem said:
It may be the fan clutch and not the pump shaft that is moving. They usually leak way before they go. If you do decide to replace the pump, get a quality Ford or IH pump. The cheap pumps are imported rebuilds and don't have the good machining of the OEM pumps.

It's not just the fan blades that move, it's they pully as well. I have not gotten the fan off yet, but it looked like the pully is attached to the pump, and the fan is attached to the end of the pump shaft. Not sure if that is 100% correct or not. But ya, the fan and the pully all rocked back and forth together.

rthomas

Reaction score
mine alerted me by the pully hitting one of the bolt heads and making noise. its fairly easey one to change, just make sure you use the same 4 bolts in the same spots where they thread into the timing cover, use silicone on these and do not over torque them, if their too long they could hit the cam gear -cuss

rthomas

Reaction score
14 lbs, and the book says those 4 bolts cant be more than 1.25" long. you'll see what i mean about those four when you do it, the cover that they thread into is very thin and could stip out easily

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rthomas said:
14 lbs, and the book says those 4 bolts cant be more than 1.25" long. you'll see what i mean about those four when you do it, the cover that they thread into is very thin and could stip out easily

Well, what he is saying is true sort of. It would depend on your existing pump, and your replacement pump. Suffice it to say you need to be aware that the pump changed, and their is an issue with bolt length. Get the Ford pump, and it will come with directions, 2 bolts, and a full explanation.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Well, what he is saying is true sort of. It would depend on your existing pump, and your replacement pump. Suffice it to say you need to be aware that the pump changed, and their is an issue with bolt length. Get the Ford pump, and it will come with directions, 2 bolts, and a full explanation.

so don't the NAPA pump :thumbsup:

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
i got mine from carquest and it came with the two bolts and instructions.
it had ford stamped in housing if i recall also.and had the life time warr. ;Sweet

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I got mine from the parts place I have been dealing with on all the parts for the truck (Is it scary that they say "Hey Brian" when I walk in the door?) anyway, sold pump, says ford on it, has the gasket and 4 bolts, two of one size, and two of another size. The instructions say depending on the mounting casting I should use the 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" bolts.
Now to dive in and replace it...

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
so don't the NAPA pump :thumbsup:
i used a $60 NAPA pump to replace the OE 236k mile pump last fall... no problems yet.
it came with bolts & instructions. and the lifetime warranty.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the thing about the brand X parts. Most really are not as good. When I did Landscape Man's waterpump, we had a Ford one, and a brand X'er side by side. There were obvious deficiencies in the "gold series" pump. The one rabbit got is particularly disturbing, because it indicates they have no quality control, and are doing nothing to eliminate the older pump housings. You'll have to evaluate for yourself if the ones you buy are good enough for you, but if you've never done the comparison yourself, you owe it to yourself to have the opportuntiy.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
My pump from Napa was only $22 after core charge but I couldn't see any difference between the ford one and Napa's and I fugured it was a rebuilt ford unit any how plus you have to wonder how old some of those "new" pumps seals are no harder then it is to change if it only last 80K instead of 160K for the ease of availability and price I'm happy ;Sweet

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
rthomas said:
Is the 14 (I assume foot/lbs) for all of them? or just the two in the top that go into that cover? 14 foot/lbs just seems light for the others...

Anyway, they are all on there and snugged up to ~14 foot/lbs, it's the bottom end of the scale for my tourque wrench, so I doubt it's supper accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online