water pump pulley issues

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a certain water pump that i should use since everything else uses a certain brand :dunno

but i believe my issue is the water pump the pulley wobbles back and forth horribly,and whats all involved switching out the pump because my truck is on the side of the highway and im going get the part tomorrow i hope ,damn ford left me stranded once again :mad: at the worst time as always far from my house at midnight, just made it home ;Sweet

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend getting a new Ford water pump. My AutoZone reman only lasted 20K. It had a seal and bearing failure.

You have to remove the fan and fan clutch, rad shroud, belts, any brackets that bolt to the water pump, and drain the coolant. You will need a 1 and 7/8 wrench and a huge set of Channel locks to get the fan cluthc off the pump. It is LEFT HAND THREAD. Meaning, left to tighten and right to loosen. The opposite of most threads. If you don't have access to those big wrenches, some autoparts places rent the fan clutch tools.

There are four bolts that need silicone sealant on them to prevent water/oil comtamination. The two top most and two bottom most bolts in the center of the pump. If you get a Ford pump, a diagram with instructions on these four bolts will be included as well as a new water pump gasket.

Clean the front cover where the pump mounts of any old gasket/silicone and then wash it with brake cleaner. put a thin coat of silicone on both sides of the gasket and be careful not to misalign the gasket on installation.

Heath

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn ford left me stranded once again :mad:

Is it the Ford that left you stranded, or your disbelief in preventative maintainance. How many miles were on your MOTORCRAFT pump when it failed? Oh it wasn't a Motorcraft? It should have been. Or, was it just original with over 100K on it, and you thought it would last for another decade? :dunno

These trucks almost never leave you stranded when properly maintained.

So you need to get a Motorcraft water pump, drain all the coolant, replace the pump (be sure to read the sheet in the box, and use the new bolts provided) flush and fill with new coolant, and consider adding a coolant filter if you don't have one already.

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it the Ford that left you stranded, or your disbelief in preventative maintainance. How many miles were on your MOTORCRAFT pump when it failed? Oh it wasn't a Motorcraft? It should have been. Or, was it just original with over 100K on it, and you thought it would last for another decade? :dunno

These trucks almost never leave you stranded when properly maintained.

So you need to get a Motorcraft water pump, drain all the coolant, replace the pump (be sure to read the sheet in the box, and use the new bolts provided) flush and fill with new coolant, and consider adding a coolant filter if you don't have one already.

well to be honest the water pump and the oil pump are the only TWO things i haven't replaced motor and body wise everything else and i really mean everything has already been touched by me within the last 4 years and no it wasn't my disbelief, before i left i even ran it with the radiator cap off and there wasn't no bubbles or nothing appeared wrong so i set off

thanks for the info all appreciated;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin