Water / Methanol injection anyone?

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother told me about the water/methanol injection for diesels.

I wanted to see if anyone has used a methanol injection setup on an IDI engine?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
aaron,

Yes there are members that have used it. Some have had success, and some have made some very intersting shaped parts. Travis (argve) on the board used water/**** in the infamous Enterprise. He used to much and was "mildly" hydrolocking the engine with each compression stroke. He took it to a rally and was playing with it and went through something like 15 GALLONS of washer fluid and an hour or two. He had crazy power while he was playing with it in that time, but the end result was 8 cracked pistons and the truck being sent off to rot in a kudzu field (which is another story all together). So it can be done, just remember you can cause major damage if you use to much.......

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep - a little goes a L-O-N-G way.... very little.... If you are looking for this on a daily driver I say pass on it and only use it for strip or track use.

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya,

I wouldn't think you would use much at all on these engines. I would use just enough to help while towing. There lots of big mountains out here and the pulls cause EGT's to climb too high. I thought it would work to help lower EGT's a few hundred and have a modest boost in power.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
It will but you have to be very careful about how much you mist. If you read the Splash article in the tech write ups I used the same nozzle as Rob did (actually got my nozzles from him) but I increased the size of the pump and then increased the pressure setting on the regulator - I'm not sure where the pressure was riding because I never did check it but I know that the pump was rated for 100 psi when it came out of the box but then I cranked down on the regulator and bottomed it out - where it was then is anyone's guess but what I noticed was when the system turned on the EGT's would drop, the motor would sort of go quiet for a second and sort of pause on power then would come alive - you would feel the extra push in the lower portion of your back in the seat and she would pull just a little bit better on the hills with or without the trailer. The egt's would shave down I want to say around 150 degrees but then would start to climb back up after a little bit (a min or so). I would go through about 10-15 gallons of windshield washer fluid in 130 gallons of fuel if I was playing with it and enjoying it.

I set mine up to automatically come on and dispense anytime the turbo was producing over 7psi. it would actually stay on until the manifold pressure would drop down below around 5 psi if I remember correctly. Mine was producing a pretty good mist if you will - not large droplets but the volume was there.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
if you are going to do a system I would probably recommend an off the shelf edition that someone has done a lot of testing on to insure that it's not putting out too much like mine was. I took what Rob did and then said

Some is good
a lot is great and
Most is best...

but sadly this was not the case... Like said I star cracked all the pistons - but they were clean....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the other hand F350Blizzard(Rob's) truck has seen a couple owners and been sold at least once on Darrin's lot since then. An off the shelf version would be expensive. For the same money you could probably have an intercooler and a Hypermax smoke puff limiter which would both help with your high altitude problems.

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An intercooler would probably be the better solution and if I were to add the water injection to that I think I would see better results.

I see that AEM has a decent kit for around $350 and it has a 6 gallon tank.

What does the smoke puff limiter does? An info on this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online