Water injection?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I had a universal snow performance on on my turbo '85, I ran -20 degree blue washer fluid and liked it. I never had any issues, the only thing I did that they didn't include was hooking up a green light to come on when the pump ran so I could dial it in to come on about 8-9 psi when it was really under load and burning some fuel. the only thing I always wondered about was since the water doesn't technically burn does any get past the rings and contaminate the oil? what about rusting the valves?? i'd like to try again on my '91 now with the moose pump but I haven't worked it hard yet to see how it behaves...

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its so hot that the water instantly flashes to steam. if anything it will clean your valves. only time water can make it down past the rings is if your spraying when the engine is cold. and shouldnt be doing that.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect the feedback that I recieved at the time was based on how I was using my truck. About the only time I was pulling any kind of load was the 7 mile treck from the woods back to the house with 5K of firewood stacked in the back. Now that I'm occatinally pulling a 5K trailer, that's going to change a little bit. I hadn't really thought much about it up to this point. It's normally a 30 min haul each way, but it can occationally be significanly longer. Sounds like I now have 2 reasons to do WI.

Now, about that EGT probe/gauge/switch.... I'll start another thread on that.

Just for kicks, are there any beneifits performance wise to a 50/50 water/**** injection on a NA enigne? I'm curious from the perspective of running down the hwy/interstate with the camper on the back. With the camper on, I've got to keep my RPM up high enough that when I grab 4th and 5th gear, I'm going to be running at least 1900 rpm to stay in my torque curve. Otherwise I just don't have enough power to stay in the higher gears. Plenty of torque in 1st through 3rd, and really not an issue with 4th, but with 3:55 gears I've got to be running almost 70 mph in 4th before I can grab 5th gear, and even then I'm only going to be running just over 2000 rpm and long or steep hills can still be a problem. The engine likes it better when I'm closer to 75mph in 5th gear, but the rest of the truck doesn't really like to run 75, and I don't like pulling the camper over about 70 when I'm on the interstate, nor do I like pulling the camper down the hwy at 60 mph in 4th gear the whole way. So I'm just curious if adding a bottle or two of HEET to the WI system before I pull out of the drive would help me to be able to get into/stay in 5th gear a little easier.

Thanks for all the info guys. It's been very helpfull.
Mark

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I think I worded that poorly, you will see the biggest gains on mechanically injected diesels that are the most inefficient, there have been some claims of all hydrogen vehicles but it seems documentation is a little fuzzy and it is all shrouded in secrecy but using HHO as a catalist in diesels is documented effective. sometimes reading the PRO/CON arguments is difficult as there is a lot of bad information out there. Supposedly it works in a similar fashion to propane and there is little argument about that effectiveness, also, small volumes are typically all that is needed.

will work just fine on an electronically controlled diesel. Just need to tune for it.
HHO acts almost as a catalyst, in which you are corect it helps burn the fuel better. I believe it is also the key for high revving race diesels, as they are limited by diesel fuels burn rate.
Definitly have to reach university and technical articles, not just you read on chevy power or the likes. (there are dedicated forums to HHO where guys really know their stuff, but for the hardcore facts and results, lab tests need to be done and read about.)
The funniest is when i was googling plasma ignition. Some chevy website a chap simply posted. woah this is nuts. I dont believe this works at all. complete garbage. ya...right.
Thats why for my university grad project we were able to see a 70% reduction in CO, and a 20% increase in H20 and C02. (indicating a more complete burn).

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
ok i skipped a bunch of the posts so sorry if i sound stupid...

so WVO needs high heat to burn efficiently.. why would you want to cool the air down? a NA diesel does not produce HIGH egts unless its being lugged or the fuel has been turned up.

on a turbo with high boost or towing, i could understand it.

FYI my grandpas motor home had a small block chevy in it with water injection for those long hill climbs

gatorman21218

Reaction score
ok i skipped a bunch of the posts so sorry if i sound stupid...

so WVO needs high heat to burn efficiently.. why would you want to cool the air down? a NA diesel does not produce HIGH egts unless its being lugged or the fuel has been turned up.

on a turbo with high boost or towing, i could understand it.

FYI my grandpas motor home had a small block chevy in it with water injection for those long hill climbs

I saw higher egts without the turbo than with.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Ive had higher egts on turbo trucks but my NA truck with EGT probe also had free flow exhaust and no pump mods. With a zf5 I kept it in high revs. I dont see how water injection will do anything but cool the air temp down. Coking is a incomplete burn. Propane or better designed injector nozzles would do better. DI engines have more coking problems with wvo

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw higher egt's NA. I guess it depends on if you turbo your truck and change pumps, and your driing habits.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only temp that's important for running WVO or WMO is the fuel temp, and then the purpose of the heat is to get the fuel viscosity right so that it will atomize corrrectly coming out of the nozzel. The temp of the air coming in via the intake has no effect on the viscosity of the fuel as it has already been atomized by the time the two come into contact with each other.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
The only temp that's important for running WVO or WMO is the fuel temp, and then the purpose of the heat is to get the fuel viscosity right so that it will atomize corrrectly coming out of the nozzel. The temp of the air coming in via the intake has no effect on the viscosity of the fuel as it has already been atomized by the time the two come into contact with each other.

Thats the only thing you have to worry about extra, correct. But there are still the normal worries with an IDI.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just refering to the idea that WI would cool the and some how cause an incomplete burn with the WVO or WMO.

Dust

Reaction score
Water/**** will reduce your EGTs if the methanol concentration is low enough. It is also known to clean the combustion chamber, and a test by a wvo merc driver showed that it reduced his crankcase pressure fairly quickly. Install is fairly straight forward. You can build your own, or you can purchase from several places. Aquastealth, Coolingmist, Devil's Own, AIS, Snow Performance, etc. It can be triggered by any 0-5V signal, a kickdown switch, WOT switch, etc. The methanol in the water/**** is a fuel, and it will add power, and as long as the percentages are less than 50% for most diesels, should be safe. Start from lower percentages and work up of course.