water injection

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone ever put water injection on a n\a motor to use when towing to keep egt's down or is that a bad idea? Just an idea for those of us that dont have a turbo yet. just got a new truck and wondering what i can do when towing(and rollin smoke)to keep egt's down.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
To be honest I dont see how having a turbo affects Water injection. EGTs can get dangerous on a NA motor even more so than a charged motor b/c there is no air forced in to cool it. If you are rolling coal like a freight train then you might consider turning the IP down.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water injection should work the same on a N/A only thing I would be concerned about is if its designed for a turbod aplilication that it may iject to much water compared to the amout of air and lock up the engine but probly not.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
You do not want to turn down the pump. You will need to retime the engine if you do that. It does more than just lower the fuel volume.

SWS

sassyrel

Reaction score
To be honest I dont see how having a turbo affects Water injection. EGTs can get dangerous on a NA motor even more so than a charged motor b/c there is no air forced in to cool it. If you are rolling coal like a freight train then you might consider turning the IP down.

he aint got a turbo--------------

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Water/Alcohol Injection Results

;Sweet When I first installed the system I was concerned about over injecting but it seems that my concerns were unfounded. To start I used two .008" nozzles and one .012". No difference in performance or mileage was noted. Next I went to two .012's and one .008 and noticed a very modest increase in power with fith gear roll-on's at 50 to 70mph. No ill effects of any manner were observed at this level. Now, I'm running three .015" nozzles @ 70psi on a 70% water 30% isopropyl (92%) mix. The system rarely gets used around town unless I'm taking the belt around to the other side or heading out to the property, because it's spraying enough at this point to start loading up the engine at idle. I don't hit the toggle unless I'm on the highway doing at least 45mph, at that point there is sufficient rpm to properly utilize the mix. Roll on power is unmistakably increased and hard accelerations (3,4 & 5) to get up to speed on an on-ramp no longer make sweaty palms. I still don't have a pyrometer, can't justify the expense at the moment, but the reduction of EGT's has already been verified in another thread here recently. Also, I picked up about 1mpg better mileage.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet When I first installed the system I was concerned about over injecting but it seems that my concerns were unfounded. To start I used two .008" nozzles and one .012". No difference in performance or mileage was noted. Next I went to two .012's and one .008 and noticed a very modest increase in power with fith gear roll-on's at 50 to 70mph. No ill effects of any manner were observed at this level. Now, I'm running three .015" nozzles @ 70psi on a 70% water 30% isopropyl (92%) mix. The system rarely gets used around town unless I'm taking the belt around to the other side or heading out to the property, because it's spraying enough at this point to start loading up the engine at idle. I don't hit the toggle unless I'm on the highway doing at least 45mph, at that point there is sufficient rpm to properly utilize the mix. Roll on power is unmistakably increased and hard accelerations (3,4 & 5) to get up to speed on an on-ramp no longer make sweaty palms. I still don't have a pyrometer, can't justify the expense at the moment, but the reduction of EGT's has already been verified in another thread here recently. Also, I picked up about 1mpg better mileage.

Sounds good think ill have to try that in mine- im going to try and get a pyro and turn the pump up a little in the near future:thumbsup:

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
BioFarmer93 where did you mount your nozzles in your n/a application?

@dsltech83- I drilled holes through the top of my stock air cleaner cover and angled the spray nozzles to center on the intake throat. Here's a couple photos- and yes the brass was painted blue to match the cleaner cover. I had to tell you that because the spray manifold may be hard to pick out in the photo, that's why I included a shot of the manifold for orientation.

@rjjp- The system as it is currently sized can spray about 4 gallons an hour.

Attachments

• intake2a.jpg
    intake2a.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 3nozzsprayhead.jpg
    3nozzsprayhead.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member