Water in fuel circuit

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could someone please educate me on the WIF circuit? If you look here, there are 3 wires labeled WIF (A,B and C).

You must be registered for see images attach

Near as I can tell there is one wire going to the sensor on the fuel filter. I've been through my manual and I don't know if I'm tired or it's just not showing me what I need to know.

I think I've got the rest of the original engine harness sorted. Just have to figure this out.

Thank guys.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some google searching has turned up this thing.

I need to go find the old harness and see if I have that bit. Anyone know how it actually works? I always just assumed the sensor would read continuity when water bridges a pair of electrodes on it. Never really gave it a ton of thought. Guess that's not exactly the case.

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I need to go find the old harness and see if I have that bit. Anyone know how it actually works? I always just assumed the sensor would read continuity when water bridges a pair of electrodes on it. Never really gave it a ton of thought. Guess that's not exactly the case.
That is what I thought also, I'd like to know what the smart ones here have to say.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's something like that. Pretty sure the WIF sensor wire on the fuel filter will get grounded to the body of the filter by the water, at some resistance.
The WIF module, I'm guessing, has a relay and a couple of transistors in there to amplify that current 'signal', and when the resistance gets low enough it turns on the output wire.

I do know that if you let the WIF sensor wire dangle next to the intake manifold, and it sits in a pool of leaked fuel, the light will flicker on and off.
Maby there was water in the pool of fuel? Maby the resistance of fuel was low enough to turn it on, when the distance was less than it would be in the fuel filter?
Not sure. Moved the wire and it stopped coming on.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So that's what that little black box is - the WIF relay! I learned something today - thanks for asking that question!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It was used on a lot of international engines.
Was still used on the 7.3 powerstroke also. Maybe more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it is in the harness up next to the IP connections.

It plugs into a metripack 150.2 series connector.

That is the pull to seat variety. Still don't know exactly how it works but if I'm gonna use it I guess I need all the wires.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is actually the correct connector.

If I figure out how the damn thing works I'll update this thread again so it's all together.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is only a transistor or two in there with a few resistors, I ripped one apart awhile ago, the water isn't conductive enough to turn the light on so they use the transistor to amplify the signal and drive the light.

The 4 pins are
Black/Lt blue, from ignition switch, grounded while starting (bulb check)

Red/yellow, ignition power feed

Red, power output to WIF light when water detected.

Lt blue goes to the WIF sensor

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online