Waste oil problems

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
I am having a problem with the oil seperating when it gets cold it wouldnt even pick it up this morning when I put electric fuel pump on it was about 45 degrees I pulled in station filled it up with diesel and it ran fine until it got back to half a tank now I guess I will drian it and see what kind of issues I have kinda wierd but it wont even run on my back tank right now it just turns the filter light on and dies and I have tried 2 new filters today.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've noticed that the oil tends to settle to the bottem. Also ATF and oil also seperate, the tops of "mixed" buckets have more red than at the bottem. Sometimes after I fill up I need to drive a few miles to get it mixed up before it will pull through the lines.
Also noticed today when I changed Glowplugs that there was alot of Coking on the tips, they were white instead of black.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also noticed today when I changed Glowplugs that there was alot of Coking on the tips, they were white instead of black.

Is this a result of higher combustion temperatures?

I'm making another 16 hour run this weekend to the Lake of the Ozarks....going with 50% in the rear tank and maybe 10% on the front.

Last edited:

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
well I figured out my biggest problem I finally found where they had hidden the fuel filters in line at it was behind the frame member where I couldnt see it fixed that and all is fine it runs on 100% wmo now with no problems.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've noticed that the oil tends to settle to the bottem. Also ATF and oil also seperate, the tops of "mixed" buckets have more red than at the bottem. Sometimes after I fill up I need to drive a few miles to get it mixed up before it will pull through the lines.

I'm not sure this is true

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

This is a mix of oils,left to right...#2+50% wvo,ATF+50% wvo and wmo+50% wvo.This is after a month.NO seperation only a lil fat(thin white film) at the bottom.

Now I know wvo is diffrent than wmo but you'd think that 2 petros would blend better than petro and wvo.

Stu

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just finished my WMO filter setup and I noticed that its way too think to filter with a 10 micron and a 1 micron water filter when its strait motor oil. I was going to filter down about 30 gallons or so and blend around 5 gallons varius ways until I had it right but its taking forever to pump through. I may go with 50% 50% WMO and #2 just to filter it down and then adjust and go from there. Any sugestions? Has anyone tried regular unleaded gas to try and thin out wmo. I have read about people having good results using it with wvo but I havent heard about wmo yet.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i am surprised you can't push it throught the filters. i add about 20-30psi to my 10 mic then 1 mic filter set up and it comes out about as fast as my sink half way open. i can filter 5 gallons in about 10 min. what type of pump are you using?

its no fuel station but not bad in my opinion.

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
I use Iwaki chemical pumps they work great to push it right through I am using a iwaki 30 right now you can find them on ebay reasonable since you dont need a high pressure one they get exspensive.

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using a 12 volt Fleabay special, It pumps though its just slow. I thinned it out with 50/50 WMO/diesel and and it pumped alot faster. Do yall think I should thin it out some more? I will be running it in a 2001 PSD.

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my WMO setup. What do yall think?

Attachments

• truck pics 002.jpg
    truck pics 002.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 63
  • truck pics 003.jpg
    truck pics 003.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 59
  • truck pics 004.jpg
    truck pics 004.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 40

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
that should work mine is about the same looking way I need to go buy another camera. Well I got my exhaust changed the other night to 3 inch ran into a 4 inch tail pipe it had 2 inch thats how I bought it well I have alot more power but it is getting worse mileage then it ever has I am down to about 16mpg on waste oil. i was getting around thirty but it was being starved for fuel thats why it wouldnt run over 60 now it will run 75 no problem.

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ebay. they are just household water filters, a 10 and a 1 micron. They were 40 bucks or so.