Waste oil as fuel

BrotherNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. With the due date for owning my new truck slowly approaching I have a question. My current job has a lot of waste oil going out the door. I work around small engines and diesel engines. So I guess the question would be is there any difference between the oil from a small engine from a lawn mower or back-hoe from that of a car in terms of useability for fuel. Thanks!

Cheers
Nick

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the Alternative fuel section here on the OB.
It's almost to the bottom.
Lots of wmo for fuel talk.
Yes you can use it, BUT a person needs to filter, filter, filter it, and mix it with some other type of fuel.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never burn in an IDI any lube oil used in a diesel engine. Diesel engine lube oil has additives in it that keep the blowby carbon in suspension. Without running it thru a centrifuge, then thoroughly filter it down to at least 5 microns, it will eat up your IP and possibly the injectors. Small gas engine oil is even worse to my estimation, ever notice how quick it turns black. That's my take on used engine oil.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So mix it with diesel fuel? Whatsva the mix percentage?

You can, some people use gasoline or RUG (regular unleaded gas), some use kerosene.
Mix percentage can be anything from 50/50, 70/30, 80/20, wmo/other fuel.
Sometimes it depends of your location/outside temp/ etc, if the pickup has some other problems, for example bad glow plugs
wmo can make it hard to start.
Generally speaking oil that is thinner works better as fuel, basically it's closer to the viscosity of diesel fuel.
Lot of different things, not trying to be evasive, but check out the wmo section.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am with oldbull8 on this one. It is great that people use wmo as fuel to save money, but I am not in favor of potential engine damages and increased pollutants that are associated with burning wmo. Hey but if it is working well for the people who choose to burn it in their vehicles, go for it!