Waste Motor Oil as fuel in a 7.3?

sorsita

Reaction score
bleed,
i have been doing this awhile, i use a centrifuge filter from diesel craft which cleans the oil down to 1 micron.. 2 passes in a 55 gal in one hour but i let it filter about 5 hrs to make sure its real clean.. purchased my heated tank form American tank.. 65 gal but it needs two more heating rods in the winter, summer it stays real hot..look at plantdrive.com they have a ton of info and kits... thing is you want it hot and cleannnnn... good luck

Titojeep

Reaction score
I'm running wast hydraulic oil ISO 68 which is similar to ATF but clear. It comes from injection molding machines which typically have auxiliary filtration systems that filter down to .1 micron (Filtroil units). I have an unlimited supply since I've been in the industry for over 15 years, and have several coleagues who still own or run molding companies in the area I live. I personally use a 1 micron spin on filter on a hydraulic filter cart and filter / transfer the oil from their holding totes to my clean (and pretty) 300 gal stainless tote. I never pull from the bottom of their totes just in case something has settled to the bottom. So far I'm on several thousand miles and absolutely no issues. A friend works for FORD and literally pumps ATF straight from his collection tote (from regular service vehicles) and pumps it into his tank without filtering. He's on 40K miles with no issues on his IDI. I know the powerstrokes are more expensive and different, but definately make sure you have a good source of oil, FILTER, FILTER, FILTER, and watch your ratio in the cool weather and you should save alot of money on fuel. I too will be looking into an heater for my tank but I'm not sure what set up to use. I'd like to conduct my own viscosity test (manually) to see what would actually be happening in my tank if I were running 50/50 in 40degree weather.
On a seperate note: I'm still so freaking excited about being an IDI owner. The simplicity of this engine and durabilty is so great. Add to this the fact of running waste hydraulic oil, and I can almost run this as economically as my motorcycle at times. The family and I just completed about a 1000 mile round trip on vacation towing our 25ft camper between Atlanta, Tenn., and Mammoth cave KY and I only spent about $68 in diesel. The trip should have cost around $300. Gotta love it.

As for my stainless tank, if anyone in the Atlanta area is interested, I have another tank just like it that I'm looking to get rid of for a decent price. If interested please let me know. I'm titojeep.

sorsita

Reaction score
i run my heater lines from the radiator. copper line in the tank in a loop however i think 4 lines in the tanks will do better. plant drive has a small inline heater that heats up the oil in seconds right before the injectors..im using 100% oil...im prior post i also mentioned i have the loop system making it faster when i switch over to diesel cleaning the lines keeping the oil in oil tank and diesel in stock tank...tank cost $1800 and every part is supplied from hose clamps to hose and wire loom to connect to stock fuel gauge... auxtank.com

jonboy84

Reaction score
waste atf is bad.. its an oil designed not to burn. It makes a lot of ash as its burned.

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone looked at a centrifuge solution? Seems to me media filters are going to get expensive and tedious for the amount of oil you would be processing,

Centrifuge would be a heck of alot cheaper than buying filters all the time I would think. I was looking into this a while ago and saw that you can get 55-60 GPH centrifuges for around $120. There are many semi's out there that filter the engine oil with a centrifuge. They did this in Diesel Power Magazine with 'Project 300'. They are so simple there's really nothing to go wrong, just clean it every now and then, after the initial investment there's really no added cost. I bought a pump to start my WMO system but that's as far as I got...still need to get a centrifuge, a motor to drive pump, some lines, and drums. Around here it's not hard to find used ATF/WMO, there are garages everywhere that will give it away by the drum. I heard you can use fish tank heaters to heat drums although it takes a while, it works. I'm only 17 and diesel is just too damn expensive for me so my truck just sits, it sucks. I'm even debating about selling it to buy a fuel efficent 4cyl car.:eek:

sorsita

Reaction score
Fish tank heaters will not do the trick.. u want that oil to heat as fast as you can to use less diesel.. I run coolant in the tank through copper pipping. as long as truck is running i have a heated oil tank all the time.. im in fl so in the summer it heats very fast. winter in keep it insulated..www.dieslecraft.com is where i purchased the complete set up for cleaning oil. last few tanks i have used veggie oil and i must say, its a cleaner burn and no smoke...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7