Waste Motor Oil as fuel in a 7.3?

lwillson

Reaction score
Is it a good idea, or bad? Everything I have read says that it works fine in a mechanical injection system, but no one ever seems to say what it does in HEUI engines. Is it just general badness? Or cheap goodness?

I am contemplating getting a system set up for it, but have yet to accumulate enough oil to make it worthwhile. As well, winter is coming/here so I might be waiting until spring before actually running it as fuel?

Any input is greatly appreciated

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
filter is the key word here in the winter i would run blends with lower viscosity as a fuel i would save the heavier oils for summer running i would also look into some form of a thermostatically controlled tank heater

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
my BIL (camo85 here) has been running WMO in his powerstroke and it takes it real well. filter filter filter

lwillson

Reaction score
I intend to use a spin on fuel/water filter and put it in series with a 3 roll frantz filter. I just have yet to work out containers. I was hoping to just use 5 gallon pails and use gravity feed, but I have a hunch that the 15w40 wont flow easily enough now that the garage temperature is 7 degrees C.

Jeep1947

Reaction score
Using motor oil. I have been playing with it for about 2 months so far so good. First I strain it through a layer of tee shirt material to screen out large particles have 2 (100) pound pull magnets that the oil runs over. I let it settle for at least 24 hours and then start filtering. Using a 55 gallon plastic drum with a 3/4" pipe and valve about 6" up from bottom my filter system is this #1 a 50 micron filter in a whole house water filter #2 20 micron filter #3 10 micron filter #4 1 micron filter then finally through a goldenrod 596-5 water block filter. I mix 50/50 with pump diesel starts easy no smoke seems like more power and better mileage. Got the water filters at Home Depot and the cartridges for them from McMaster-Carr. The goldenrod filter block and spin on filters are from Tractor Supply.

lwillson

Reaction score
Using motor oil. I have been playing with it for about 2 months so far so good. First I strain it through a layer of tee shirt material to screen out large particles have 2 (100) pound pull magnets that the oil runs over. I let it settle for at least 24 hours and then start filtering. Using a 55 gallon plastic drum with a 3/4" pipe and valve about 6" up from bottom my filter system is this #1 a 50 micron filter in a whole house water filter #2 20 micron filter #3 10 micron filter #4 1 micron filter then finally through a goldenrod 596-5 water block filter. I mix 50/50 with pump diesel starts easy no smoke seems like more power and better mileage. Got the water filters at Home Depot and the cartridges for them from McMaster-Carr. The goldenrod filter block and spin on filters are from Tractor Supply.

What are you using for a pump? or are you letting it gravity feed from one to the other? I like the gravity feed because it requires no more power to operate the filtering system. I am testing with 2 pails and a frantz filter right now, and it takes a couple of days to run straight 15w40 through the filter.

Does the oil look any cleaner after passing through your system? or is it still black? I am assuming that its going to stay black.

Jeep1947

Reaction score
lwillson I just let it gravity flow through the cotton tee shirt material then after it settles I use a Harbor Freight pump the blue one that everyone uses for making bio diesel. Just the one pump pushes it through the filter system. It does run slower than bio but does a good job. Yes it is still black I am thinking I will use a carbon filter element and see what it does. One of the guys on the bio forum had his bio diesel come out clear like kerosene by using a carbon household water filter. The 50/50 blend seems to work well in the HEUI injectors on the powerstroke. Also running in in a 2001 Dodge on a friends truck so far so good but with the injector pump I do not know. We filter down to 1 micron which is cleaner than pump diesel time will tell. Send me a email if you wish and I will keep you updated as how things are going.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all i can say is filter it to less than one micron and make sure viscosity is real close to diesel. use a heating system or whatever. Purge with pure diesel before shutdown. my truck had alot more power with mwo in it.

Jeep1947

Reaction score
resOwc18, we have been using a mix of 50% WMO and 50% Pump diesel and have not had any problems. Truck seems to have more power and mileage is up just a bit. Now that it is getting colder I am curious as to how it will perform. Will keep up post as we progress.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i stopped using it for the winter since it gets cold at night till about noon. So when i finish plumbing in my heated tank system then i will be golden.

2x6 bulldog

Reaction score
Bad idea. you can filter out the particles and such but not the harmful acids and chemicals that can ruin the injectors. Good Luck but not in my truck ....Ever!

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad idea. you can filter out the particles and such but not the harmful acids and chemicals that can ruin the injectors and the HP pump. Good Luck but not in my truck ....Ever!

you may want to read up on how the HUEI system works.

as long as it is filtered real well in i believe the 1-2 micron range you will be fine.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so far I'm running heavy concentrations of waste atf filtered through a marine fuel filter water separator after sitting in drums for many days, and I pull out of the drum several inches from the bottom.

The truck smokes white a bit more than normal - but still smokes black under heavy throttle. Starts fine plugged in or not, even down into the teens F temperature. This is why I'm staying with ATF - the viscosity is much more similar to diesel fuel than wmo, especially at lower temps.

I need to change my filtering system - I have a dual filter head I want to put a golden rod water trap filter and another filter on that so I can dual filter instead of single filter as I am now.

Where are you guys getting your goldenrod filters?

Jeep1947

Reaction score
I get my Glodenrod filters from Tractor Supply. So far they are the cheapest place I have found, they have the housing,filter cartridge or the aluminum head with a spin on filter.

donnie4720

Reaction score
ive been thinkin real hard of going to a regular use of wmo, but im limited on space so i dont have room for a refinery in my garage. is there any way i could gravity feed waste oil in to my stock tank from an in bed tank and still have it filtered well enough?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7