washing advise

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factor manual says not to. So if I need to get something cleanish I use a cloth and degreaser or brake cleaner or some such in specific areas as needed.

mrhorton88

Reaction score
Got it washed. Most of the caked on oil and stuff was on the front and passenger side. But lo and behold its gray lol

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOW that it is clean...soak it in Super Clean aka Purple Power...keep it wet...spray straight cleaner do not dilute...do whole engine....now pressure wash it again....then likely clean...

mrhorton88

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing it all over again tomorrow that way it'llbe really clean. Any idea wwhat would make a lot of the caked on stuff be on the front too?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any spills when adding oil will run down the front. The injection pump gear cover could leak where it meets the block. After cleaning you can watch for leaks there. Near the bottom the front crank seal could have a leak. Odds are it is spilled oil from filling.

mrhorton88

Reaction score
Alright. I know that changing out the o ring on the fuel heater cut down on the leak alot. It made it look like I had a horrible oil leak

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, official info is to not wash the injection pump unless it's dead cold (ie, been shut off for some hours). The reason is that the pump internals will get hot and if the outside of the pump gets hit with cold water from washing it could in theory shrink enough to bind/damage the internals.

My feeling is that it's not something to be too worried about, but I would be careful.

mrhorton88

Reaction score
I was pretty careful and I used hot water. Came clean pretty easy. As far as I can tell the passenger side valve cover gasket and the plug in the oil pan are where my leaks are.