Want to regear

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i really want to move forward and regear my truck to 4.10's. What is the best/most economical way to go about this. Should I find two complete axles or just regear it myself?? Another member is giving me his front 4.10 ring and pinion so all I would need to go that route is the sterling 4.10's.

Also, do I need to get the installation kits?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok i really want to move forward and regear my truck to 4.10's. What is the best/most economical way to go about this. Should I find two complete axles or just regear it myself?? Another member is giving me his front 4.10 ring and pinion so all I would need to go that route is the sterling 4.10's.

Also, do I need to get the installation kits?

If you are going to re-gear, I would get the install kits. They make is simple because they have a new pinion nut, crush sleeve, pinion seal, and a bunch of shims for both the pinion and the carrier. I have a set of 4.10 gears that I'm gonna list on ebay but would take $50 for them if you are interested. They came out of an axle that was well taken care of and ran on synthetic gear oil. I used the limited slip carrier out of it and things looked brand new.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I would be able to use my limited slip carrier right??? I will Pm you about the money.
I have only watched people do a ring and pinion job, never myself. IS it something you think I can handle?? I know I need to get the right tools for sure.

Thanks

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I do this, I would like to know if there is going to be a big difference from the 3.55 to 4.10 in towing. Right now, If I put a 5000# tractor on a trailer it does just fine but its a bit hard to take off. I am just looking to increase my towing capacity a tad bit more. What do yall think??

Also, I know my highway Rpms will be decreased alot so I plan to get a gear vendors in the future.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said your highway rpms would be decreased a lot, I assume you meant increased. I love 4.10's for towing, and actually prefer them for not towing either. Particularly for a CC 4x4 that usually has 500-1000 lbs in the bed 4.10s just help it be a little less gutless.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine, with 32" tires, the difference in RPM at 70 mph with 3.55 vs. 4.10 gears is 1950 RPM vs about 2300 RPM. It's worth the switch to 4.10s to me.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya sorry about that I meant increased Rpm's.

What would yall do in this position? Should I buy new gears, or would used ones be ok???

I might get 35's so this should help out a little.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
A brownie auxillary trans would give you what you need without the gear swap. Probably less money and a better substitute for a GV. The only downfall I see is the brownie is not useful in 4wd as they are usually spliced into the rear driveshaft. RLDSL seems to love his setup.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya i wouldnt hesitate for a second, but the only problem is I have yet to find one here locally. Even if it gives me more gears, a lower final drive would still be ideal IMO. I could go even lower like 4.56 or 5.13 with a double overdrive. Now that would be a pullin SOB.

I am going to read every tech paper I can find on the internet of what the right way to install a ring and pinion is. I will be taking this truck to college next year so it needs to be done the right way.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I can't blame you for wanting the 4:10's as I have them and a complete matching set of 3:55's. I can't even bring myself to swap out the rear for a comparo. I'm shooting for the4:10's and a brownie.:sly You seem well versed in mechanics, a 20+ ton press and some dial gauges, I think you could do it. Also, I highly reccomend the install kit. Cheap insurance. Good luck.;Sweet

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I got the press just need to get a new dial indicator, I found some cool sites on R&P.

Contact Patterns;

http://www.differentials.com/images/pattern-ok.gif
http://www.differentials.com/images/pattern-sp.gif
http://www.differentials.com/images/pattern-dp.gif

Specs;
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/ring_and_pinions/ford_10.25_ring_and_pinion_gears.html

So is there really that big of a difference between the two gears????

Thanks for the input,
i will probably make a new thread when I eventually start.

Last thing, I pressed the cam gear and lobe off the spare cam and gonna send it to Russ soon!!

lpennock

Reaction score
As long as you have a dial type inch pound torque wrench (can use a cantilever but not a snap type) and a dial indicator it isn't that bad of job. The sterling is external shimmed so it is fairly easy to setup. I think the Dana 50 might be internal shimmed which makes it much more difficult if you don't have setup bearings. It is a tedious job but not real difficult.

Csgod0

Reaction score
I dont mean to threadjack in the least, but in regard to re-gearing, does anyone offhand have, or know of a thread explaining what would be required labor-wise to accomplish this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online