want to built the ol IDI "PLEASE HELP"

Smokin 7.3 IDI

Reaction score
ive heard there is someone on here that builts pumps for an idi, i have a 93 350 single wheel, 5 speed, 4x4 want it to keep up with some other diesel's, i want to put a jacked up pump on it and put a set of nozzles in it but need to know where to get em, also which turbo is the best, the banks, the ats or the hypermax

thanks

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of those turbos will be just fine and much better than NA, and the guy that sells the built pumps is Mel Agne and the Moose Pump. It has gotten consistently good reviews and there ought to be a sticky post here to give you any added info you need.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock turbo is not junk, but it needs some help to give you the performance you expect out of it. First that stock downpipe IS junk. Its 2.5" and not very free flowing. You COULD get the ATS exhaust flange and a 3" downpipe would be a sirect bolt in. Another approach some have taken is to somehow weld on an adapter that will allow you to use a 3" downpipe which can come from ATS or potentially be custom made. Probably even a 3" flex pipe would be better than stock. Also if the fuel is not turned up, and it was not from the factory, you won't get much beyond NA power out of it other than where many NA guys have smoke you're making some of that wasted fuel into power, but its now been proved that very little measureable improvement is gained without turning up the pump. Hear this well though, you need a pyrometer and boost gauge once you turn that fuel screw, it can become easy to overboost the engine or make too high EGTs. If you already have that, ignore my presumptiousness.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
+1 the motor just needs some tuning and such, you might even want to look in to having the injectors pop tested and rebuilt or even look in to the "Moose Injectors" that Mel is coming up with, do that and you'll have a good runner with plenty o' power, and as stated before you must invest in a Pyro, and boost gauge, the last thing you want is a catastrophic meltdown

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DPS does build a HO injection pump and from what others here have said it does work pretty well but Ken is hard to get if you have problems. Every once in awhile you get a badly built pump and you need to be able to get service if that happens. Doesn't mean Ken is a bad builder, but his customer service is problematic. He's a little cheaper than Mel, but the tradeoff is you know Mel stands behind his work and so does the shop he works with. So is piece of mind worth 2-300 bucks more? That's your call. Both pumps are better than stock. Don't buy Ken's Stage 1 injs. though, stock is way better and will keep up with a Moose or DPS pump just fine.

jaxson

Reaction score
thanks I was looking at buying a set of his stage one injectors, i guess i will have to find another plan.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See the Moose Misters thread. These are a prototype from what I understand and have yet to be used in a vehicle and they are NOT CHEAP. But whatever they are they look good. Of course all that extra fuel is wasted out the tailpipe if you don't have a turbo and can't keep the EGTs under control.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is an easy fix for that turbo, you can take it off and send it to me lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online