WANT (CL "Find")

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2092748616.html

Every time i see this listed and it's been there for MONTHS i think this would be the perfect donor vehicle for my '68 Travelall project. I think the engine and transmission are worth the asking price. Sell the considerable scrap steel and that things is a bargain. Or maybe i am wrong. . .i dunno.

Last edited:

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
school busses are a goldmine of usefull parts. think medium duty, 3 rows of seats as a pickup.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd jump all over that. the rear end should be able to find an adoptive h$me, the tread should be able to find an adoptive h$me, the carcass will crush for dang near purchase price, least round here, we are dang near $150 a ton.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Back in the day I made a school bs into a camper -complete with full size kitchen cabinets & sinks -it slept 6 plus 2 on the Gueen bed in the back. I sold it because it was underpowered & got an older Winnebago. (this was in the early 80s. I liked the bus camper better & was found frequently napping on the Queen bed LOL (between lobstering & fishing trips) -Hmm wonder how that would run with the proper gearing?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad it doesn't have a Spicer manual tranny. The DT360 is a great motor though. I'd offer $1500, espically if it has been listed forever.

Heath

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like the diea of a big auto transmission in there. i mean a dt360 and an allison in my 1968 Travelall would make for a pretty cool ride that would do just about everything better than most vehicles that size. gas mileage, towing, it would be pretty peppy etc

sadly i just don't have that kinda cash about, and ieven if i did i don't have anyplace to store a bus while i tear it down.

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They wont take $1500. Ive tried. I was a bank withdrawal short of buying it but i decided i didnt want the auto trans if i swapped it into the 86 and didnt want to go through teh trouble of finding a trans after i already bought 1 bus.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
i like the diea of a big auto transmission in there. i mean a dt360 and an allison in my 1968 Travelall would make for a pretty cool ride that would do just about everything better than most vehicles that size. gas mileage, towing, it would be pretty peppy etc

sadly i just don't have that kinda cash about, and ieven if i did i don't have anyplace to store a bus while i tear it down.

Its going to be a fight to get that Allison to fit in a travelall but if you do, wear a neck brace because they shift HARD

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also highly doubt that trans has overdrive. The engine might be cool, but the rest wouldn't do much good for a light duty vehicle.
Travis..

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paid $800 for one like that back in the early 60's. Had a damn Pontiac engine in it, every time it coasted down a hill it would pop the heads off the valves. Bought an old Ford dump truck with a two speed rear end electric shift, put that in, then changed the engine later to a 390CID married to a Five speed Ranger trans., that thing would fly. Made it into a real nice camper. Even drove it up Mt. Rushmore, scared the hell out of me on the way down.