W80: keeping it mixed

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression the Benz's were more tolerant of all alt fuels than the VW motors and had more power to boot. Otherwise I would be OK with one I suppose... VW probably gets better mileage but I don't really care. I'd kinda rather be riding in a comfy old Benz.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Finally got around to pulling the timing cover to find this awesomeness.

Good riddance.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure on the Mercedes, but I just picked up a 91 Jetta 1.6L N/A Diesel, 5-Speed. Its not too bad. It has 54 or 57 HP I think. It is slightly faster than the speed of smell. It is not the fastest to get going, but I have found once you get on the interstate it will get up to 70 and buzz along just fine.

Ask me how I know 40MPH is fast enough to kill you. heck i wasn't even going that fast at impact and i still "died" on the operating table twice.

Before jumping On the MB bandwagon i was going to jump on the VW wagon, but they are extremely hard to find without driving 10 to 15 hours. Availability of the cars themselves is the ONLY reason I went MB vs VW.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Ask me how I know 40MPH is fast enough to kill you. heck i wasn't even going that fast at impact and i still "died" on the operating table twice.

Before jumping On the MB bandwagon i was going to jump on the VW wagon, but they are extremely hard to find without driving 10 to 15 hours. Availability of the cars themselves is the ONLY reason I went MB vs VW.

Sorry about your luck! Do you really think a vw would be better than a 123 om617 car?

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO, I just wanted the little 1.6, more economical. I'm pretty happy I went the way I did. And think, I'm better off anyway.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Traded my Focus for this. It is sweet. It's had a lot of rust repair, the purple hides it pretty well though. I'm excited!

Guy had a 4spd 240 as well he let me take for a spin. What a hilarious car to drive. I could see myself owning one of those at some point too.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Not sure how long the wagons were produced, but turbo om617's were only in 300sd's before 1980.5ish when they started putting them in 300d's. But that only lasted until 1985. After 1985 they got screwy and did some stupid stuff and had issues mostly pertaining to an aluminum alloy head and poorly forged rods...

Back to the wagon, have fun and just know that I'm completely jealous!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wagon is perfect for wmo right??? Extra room for a 2nd wmo tank etc????
Good find..

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was talking to previous owner, sounds like it has already run about 70k on wvo. I was thinking I'd add some kind of coolant heat exchanger if I have coking issues. I really dig the simplicity of one tank setups and would love to keep all this awesome trunk space.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Psyched to have the fuge going again!

Got plates on it today, drives really nice. Bumped the timing 2 degrees for a little boost in power but mostly to help with burning my fuel. Only mod I have planned. Need to get a spare filter and I'm gonna start dumping it in!

Some better pictures:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online