Veg kit install

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I just finished installing a Golden Fuel WVO kit on a 1991 Dodge W250....He took it home tonight, it took some time to get my head around the plumbing and etc but it works really well...Two Hot-Fox coolant fed heaters in a 135 gallon fuel tank mounted in the bed and a trick 3 valve setup on the engine....The pump is electric, the fuel filter is 2 micron and heated as well with a wrap...It has a purge timer to flush the WVO from the system before you shut it off....I could buy all this stuff locally and build one for myself but I don't drive my truck enough to need it...Just thought I would give you guys the heads up on this kit and that in my opinion it works well.;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to withold judgement for a few K kilometers before you say it works...just saying. I don't doubt the kit is good and I really believe in your craftsmanship but WVO is just nasty stuff. The restaurants don't toss it to be charitable. What happens to all the gum and varnish from the oil, the free fatty acids that have come off of their glycerol skeleton from the heat. IMO wvo is asking for it...if you want to burn veggie oil making it into biodiesel first is a much better option, unless you like replacing IPs and injectors and who knows what else.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Might want to withold judgement for a few K kilometers before you say it works...just saying. I don't doubt the kit is good and I really believe in your craftsmanship but WVO is just nasty stuff. The restaurants don't toss it to be charitable. What happens to all the gum and varnish from the oil, the free fatty acids that have come off of their glycerol skeleton from the heat. IMO wvo is asking for it...if you want to burn veggie oil making it into biodiesel first is a much better option, unless you like replacing IPs and injectors and who knows what else.

The IP rebuild shop read him the riot act when they did his VE pump and I warned him too but he forged ahead....The truck runs great and I couldn't believe how fast the heaters were working in the tank. I told him to add some Howes power kleen to the diesel tank to try and keep everything flushed out but time will tell.:rolleyes:

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
IMO wvo is asking for it...if you want to burn veggie oil making it into biodiesel first is a much better option, unless you like replacing IPs and injectors and who knows what else.

Cannot agree more.

If I factor in the true cost of my foray into WVO, including down time and missed work, it really did cost me far more than the bio has. How much $$$$ is in a WVO setup like this? For around $1200 you can buy a ready-made processor that will churn out bio at an operating cost of about $.78 /gal. For me, the peace of mind that comes from not having to worry about the varnish forming on your engine internals (and what will break next because of it) is the deciding factor.

That being said, I wish you the best of luck!

e: You should see the glycerol/glycerine removed after processing the bio...and you realize that with straight WVO you're asking your engine to burn that gunk...I just can't do that to my poor engine anymore.

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It's a Raptor pump I believe....I explained the consequences to him as did others but some people have to feel the pain themselves to learn. I did my part and installed it according to the instructions as best I could...I think he has $2500 in the kit, tank, transfer pump/filter and storage tank at home....Plus the labour he paid me to install it....I could replicate the kit for much less.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
there was a 12v in there?? you guys are scaring me. ive been running wvo in my idi for 3 summers now and roughly 13,000 miles with absolutely no troubles.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people seem to get away with WVO but more often than not it seems like it eventually causes some issues. I suspect those who use barely used WVO, filter it well, and run almost all of their miles working hard and very little in town or idling will do best with biodiesel. Also inline pumps do better than rotary IPs. Some engines are tough enough. The old Mercedes 5 cylinders with cast iron heads and inline pumps seem tolerant of it...but would probably run better on biodiesel. Please BRT, don't think I am criticising you or your workmanship or your decision to put the kit on, and I also know it might make sense for some people, just trying my best to pass on a little knowledge I have gained. Some people can also get crystal clear Asian restaurant used oil with low ffa. My sources are very good but come with too much water, bread crumbs and vomit like material at the bottom of the jugs to just burn straight or for me to be comfortable "just filtering" the stuff and dumping it in. Someone who spends that much money could probably build an excellent biodiesel processor, pay all permits to be completely legal and turn out near ASTM spec biodiesel for the same $$ or less. Just my 2 cents worth.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
He works in a bar so he gets 65L if WVO a week for free....He's been stock piling it for a while......3/4 of his driving is 60-70mph so he might be alright.....I did a bunch of other work to the truck and he asked me to install it as well so being me - I was curious - I did it to see how hard it was, how it ran and if I could replicate it cheaper....LOL...I also got $1900 in cash for labour and the truck still has to come back to finish some brake work, repair speedo, some new shaft yokes and to finish the plow install......Cash is king.:sly...I'm getting ready to put a 32V 4.6 DOHC in a 93 LX hatchback for a strip duty drag car to be ready for summer 2012....Need some dough for a few things.