VANS, 3rd vs 4th Gen

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So 4th gens are 10 inches longer than 3rd gens. Both 138 wheelbase. 3rd gens are 226” and 4th gens are 236”. Wikipedia was my source

4th gens seem taller inside.

Outside Appearance standpoint, brick noses all the way. 32” tires look way better than the 30” factory ones on 92+. Small gain in RPM’s with tire height.

Door seem to shut so much more solid feeling on Brick noses. But sounds like wind noise can be a problem in either.

Cab noise from engine was definitely louder in ‘89. Driver position felt more in the van vs on top of the van with the 92+.

I prolly should just keep my van and find a turbo system. Add a weldtec grocery getter kit, 33’s air down and have the fun on forest service roads.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
The

92+ mostly had composite, but some of the utility vans have a sealed beam style with a trim ring.

I actually have a lighting upgrade. Which gets rid of the composite housings, goes back to the rectangle style. Can’t remember if they are sealed or just housings to look sealed and add a nice bulb.

Daniel Stern hooked me up with everything, just need to mount it up.

My 92 has real glass rectangular headlights. One of these days I'll do the relay mode to them.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright.... so no one who owns both to give me some opinions...?

For those who have, thank you!!

Then what about transitioning to pickup, they are similar to van. Brick Nose vs the 98+ super duties which I think are similar to 92+ vans in the front doors. A-pillar anyway and how it meets the roof.

Or maybe I should start a sound eradication thread that has to do with wind noise where the door seals between the A and B pillar...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on anything involving a van. I had honestly never realized that they made such long runs without switching much on them.

James

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look up Gummi Pflege for the door seal noise on Amazon. BMW recommends it for all their door seals and it works pretty well to restore the rubber. I have the unfortunate position of servicing a small fleet of BMW and MINIs and I use it regularly. Wind noise dramatically dropped on the convertibles using that stuff. Of course, if the seal is straight rotted out, then it might be time to find a new seal or hit a junkyard.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Not sure on anything involving a van. I had honestly never realized that they made such long runs without switching much on them.

James

Dodge was the worst, the 78 dash design was used through 1996. The fuse panel is on a good spot though, under the glove box lid up on top of the dash. No fumbling around on the floor looking at fuses

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright.... so no one who owns both to give me some opinions...?

For those who have, thank you!!

Then what about transitioning to pickup, they are similar to van. Brick Nose vs the 98+ super duties which I think are similar to 92+ vans in the front doors. A-pillar anyway and how it meets the roof.

Or maybe I should start a sound eradication thread that has to do with wind noise where the door seals between the A and B pillar...
Ive had a 99 F250 and the van and the trucks that I drive at FedEx all have a great big hole for a window which basically sucks for cruising with the window down. I did get the plastic deflector things for the 99 F250 and that was nice so as to crack the window when it's raining. But ultimately, the old Ford vent windows are hard to beat. I don't have AC in anything and even in the FedEx trucks which are mostly E350 I drive with the window down even with the AC on so I kinda live with wind noise.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look up Gummi Pflege for the door seal noise on Amazon. BMW recommends it for all their door seals and it works pretty well to restore the rubber. I have the unfortunate position of servicing a small fleet of BMW and MINIs and I use it regularly. Wind noise dramatically dropped on the convertibles using that stuff. Of course, if the seal is straight rotted out, then it might be time to find a new seal or hit a junkyard.
Seals seem in good shape, I’m scare it’s a classic “people let the door fall open” and they spring over time.

I will order it though as my Passat could use another dose. I just used dielectric grease last time

Thanks!!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had a 99 F250 and the van and the trucks that I drive at FedEx all have a great big hole for a window which basically sucks for cruising with the window down. I did get the plastic deflector things for the 99 F250 and that was nice so as to crack the window when it's raining. But ultimately, the old Ford vent windows are hard to beat. I don't have AC in anything and even in the FedEx trucks which are mostly E350 I drive with the window down even with the AC on so I kinda live with wind noise.
I’m a wuss compared to you. And I enjoy the windows down, but not at 65+, AC comes on then, or when it’s swealtering here, so any temp above 70F :dunno

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1994 E-350 7.3 IDI Cargo van here.

Glass rectangular headlights. Plastic trim. Never had em out yet so not sure how to replace a headlamp.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BeastMaster what about wind noise at interstate speeds where the door meets the roof, I feel like the wind mostly comes through that seal.

Maybe I may try and cheat the doors in.....and/or send 1/4” turning down the seals to “swell” then

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BeastMaster what about wind noise at interstate speeds where the door meets the roof, I feel like the wind mostly comes through that seal.

Maybe I may try and cheat the doors in.....and/or send 1/4” turning down the seals to “swell” then
Can't tell much...I don't drive all that fast or long...mostly it's around to WalMart, to share a beer with a friend, or help with some problem.

If anything, I change the rear door seals. The jiggling on the rear end makes a lot of squeaks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online